Quick Axle Clean-up/Painting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm going to be rebuilding both axles on my FJ75 Troopy. All new bearings and seals and while I'm in there I'm replacing rotors, pads, drums, and shoes. Complete rebuild on all four corners.

While I'm in that deep I'd like to "refinish" the axles as well. I love what @2fpower does on his trucks with the whole sandblast, epoxy prime, and John Deere Blitz Black. Had I the facilities to blast and paint I'd go this route.

I'm looking for recommendations on refinishing the axles while leaving them on the truck. If I scrub them down really good, degrease them, and do a quick rough-up with sandpaper, could I get away with just spraying it with Blitz Black? Or should I plan on spraying it with a primer first? I've got a junk spray gun for my air compressor that might be good enough for an axle job. I could also do spray cans. Alternatively I could just brush paint it. I don't need a showroom look.

So yeah, looking for input on the best way to get some black paint on these while I'm tearing everything apart. Thoughts? Suggestions?

First off you have to prime before you apply blitz black.

The best way to do what you are talking about would be to clean it good, sand/wire brush, then paint it. I basically did this on my wifes car a few years ago..

First pressure wash it really good. If you have access to hot water blast, it would be best, like a hotsy. NOTE.... This is not good on a pump...however, I have had good luck with putting all my black garden hoses together, let them bake in the hot sun for a couple hours and then I have about 5 minutes of 100 plus degree water to do a good degreasing clean. Again, not good on a pump, but so far it has worked for me.

Ok, then use wire brush on grinder and get all the rust off and hit the paint to give your primer something to bite. No need to go to metal everywhere.

Then get chassis saver paint or POR15. For this kind of thing I prefer Chassis saver. POR 15 likes to have metal acid etch first and POR 15 is not a fan of UV.

good luck.

First off you have to prime before you apply blitz black.

The best way to do what you are talking about would be to clean it good, sand/wire brush, then paint it. I basically did this on my wifes car a few years ago..

First pressure wash it really good. If you have access to hot water blast, it would be best, like a hotsy. NOTE.... This is not good on a pump...however, I have had good luck with putting all my black garden hoses together, let them bake in the hot sun for a couple hours and then I have about 5 minutes of 100 plus degree water to do a good degreasing clean. Again, not good on a pump, but so far it has worked for me.

Ok, then use wire brush on grinder and get all the rust off and hit the paint to give your primer something to bite. No need to go to metal everywhere.

Then get chassis saver paint or POR15. For this kind of thing I prefer Chassis saver. POR 15 likes to have metal acid etch first and POR 15 is not a fan of UV.

good luck.

Thanks for this.
So I'd used the chassis saver as primer then blitz black over that?
Is brushing it on a suitable compromise for doing this while on the truck?

I like your hot water via black garden hose hack.

I have had good luck with putting all my black garden hoses together, let them bake in the hot sun for a couple hours and then I have about 5 minutes of 100 plus degree water to do a good degreasing clean.

This is genius.

Scrape gunk off. Hit with power washer. Use lots of Dawn in hot water. Or Purple Power or Super Clean or citrus cleaner. Or diesel, no water. Scrub a bit. Brake cleaner or acetone. Isopropyl alcohol if you’re feeling it. Prime with POR or Master Coat. POR and Master Coat have their own branded top coats which work well. Haven’t use Chassis Saver but reviews say it works just as well.

Or... use phosphoric acid on rust in combination with above.

If I’m in a hurry? Or less vulnerable surface. Wipe it down. Dawn and/or brake cleaner or acetone. Rustoleum primer. JD Blitz Black.

Brush or spray work fine for chassis work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom