Quick and easy question about rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Should I expect the axle shaft housings on my rear axle to be completely free of diff fluid or will some small amounts be present?

My inner seal on my axles are towards the differential and so I would have to take the differential all apart to replace the seal and don't really want to do that unless I have to. I was just curious.

Thanks!

The rear should be free of fluid other than maybe a small spot at the fill plug. Any other fluid indicates you have a leak.

The seals on your axle housing are not in the middle, they are on the outer edges next yo your wheels.

What makes you think you have a leak and what are you trying to do? Is your rear axle stock?

The rear should be free of fluid other than maybe a small spot at the fill plug. Any other fluid indicates you have a leak.

The seals on your axle housing are not in the middle, they are on the outer edges next yo your wheels.

What makes you think you have a leak and what are you trying to do? Is your rear axle stock?

No, my rear axles are not stock and to access the seals I have to go in through the axle housing so that is just work that I didn't want to do right now. Pain in the butt.

I was getting fluid leaking onto my tire so I pulled the wheel off and there was fluid in the axle shaft housing. I figured that wasn't normal but just wondered if I had a bad gasket. I guess I will have to go for the whole enchilada.

No, my rear axles are not stock and to access the seals I have to go in through the axle housing so that is just work that I didn't want to do right now. Pain in the butt.

I was getting fluid leaking onto my tire so I pulled the wheel off and there was fluid in the axle shaft housing. I figured that wasn't normal but just wondered if I had a bad gasket. I guess I will have to go for the whole enchilada.
Now that you said they aren't stock, I'm curious as to what they are?

FJ60's Semi-float, FJ60's international full float, and FZJ80's full float all have the seals at the outer edge near the wheels.

What axle are you using?

In this thread:
"Hi I have a question about my custom aftermarket rear axle housing that no one else on this forum has in their rig and 95% haven't even heard of, but I'm going to just leave out that part about it being a custom Diamond axle housing"

cruisermatt nailed it. Diamond axles.

Well, I might as well get started and make the most of my extra time at home.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom