Quick Alternator Plug Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and searched, but haven't found the exact answer.

This photo shows the plug coming off my rebuilt alternator. I suspect that the IG(nition), S(ensing), and L(amp) are not in their correct placements. Can someone confirm?

if the pict isn't clear, the alt plug was set up like this

L _
S| | IG

This is going into a 12-Volt BJ70.
(the BJ70 has a green plug.)
1985_BJ70_rebuilt_alt.jpg

From my experience, generally the green plug and black plug alternators are not inter-changeable. The black plugs ones have tended to be externally regulated and the green ones internally regulated... but that is not always the case.

It would probably be a good idea to take off the cover and look at the brush holder and follow where the wires go. Then you will be closer to your answer.

Also, you really have not provided very many details about your vehicle and its specs - what market, internal or external reg etc.

~John

Hi John... was hoping you'd pipe up.

Here's the full situation, which I didn't include for fear of confusing people:

I'm converting my BJ74 to a LHD 12-volt truck.

The alternator was a 24Volt BJ74 ext regulator... converted to 12-volt Internal regulated.
The wiring harness that is now in the vehicle is from a 1985 BJ70 (effectively making my truck a 1985 BJ70).

My question is... do toyota internally regulated alternator plugs follow a standard?

the diagrams i am posting were found via the Google and such. Notice they do not match what my alt is wired.
arenengineering.com alt wiring diagram.jpg
alternator_connections_002.jpg

I will have to physically check a 12V alt to see how the pins are configured.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom