Quick ABV Assembly Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I replaced all of the vacuum hoses I could find in my engine bay. Vacuum before was 14” Hg at 8500’ elevation, which I understand I should be happy with.

Replacing all of the hoses yielded almost no change in vacuum. If anything it may be a 0.5-1” lower. I never heard any vacuum leaks before the job, but afterward I can hear a loud hissing coming from my ABV. I’ve attached a picture of where the air is coming out of. It’s from a 3-way splitter on the backside of the ABV if you’re standing on DS. That 3 way splitter is inserted into the ABV with no gasket. Is it supposed to have some sort of sealing gasket? I can’t find a part number for this...

I find it odd that I’ve never heard this before, but after the vacuum lines it hisses like a cat.

Thanks in advance!

F3AE2286-62A6-45F2-9C43-2907BF51189F.jpeg

E2C6AA9A-B21C-458C-B38B-B85D0FDED2E1.jpeg

Figured I bump this just once. I believe the 3-pronged elbow that I’m asking about sits on the side of the ACV, not ABV.

Im inclined to believe that it should not be leaking air, but I have a small paranoia that it should be, and if I ran some type of sealent around it I’d blow a gasket/diaphragm somewhere. I’m also thinking that it wouldn’t affect my vacuum reading, as it is blowing air from the smog pump.

If this should be sealed, are there any suggestions on how to seal it?

M

I'm guessing that's just a press-fit since I've never seen any of those come out, but you might try a thin smear of JB weld to seal/hold it?

It's not an individual part, the ABV was sold as a unit (long NLA).

You can remove those screws on top and disassemble the unit and clean and check for cracks and debris. Be aware, those screws are tight because of some kind of factory sealant.

As far as VACUUM - the diaphragms for the ABV and ASV are the only things that would have vacuum. I would place a vac pump on them and see if they hold. If not, unit is bad and needs replace.

1612136355504.png

I'm guessing that's just a press-fit since I've never seen any of those come out, but you might try a thin smear of JB weld to seal/hold it?

It's not an individual part, the ABV was sold as a unit (long NLA).

You can remove those screws on top and disassemble the unit and clean and check for cracks and debris. Be aware, those screws are tight because of some kind of factory sealant.

As far as VACUUM - the diaphragms for the ABV and ASV are the only things that would have vacuum. I would place a vac pump on them and see if they hold. If not, unit is bad and needs replace.
Excellent, great picture of what I’m referencing. I will try to tear it apart, then JB weld that piece back in. That should take care of the hiss. Thanks for the push in the right direction...

M

Before you tear into it, test the diaphragms. If one is bad, then it won't matter - You'll need to find a good used one... If that's the source of the 'hiss' you hear.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom