questios regarding antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
questions regarding antenna

hello everyone, i have a 2002 landcruiser been great sice i picked it up, but now the antenna has come off track or something to that effect, motor still works but sounds terrible. I was wondering how i could just disconnect the motor to the antenna since i dont really use it (use a MP3 player and cd most of the time. I looked under the hood and saw a wire goin to what i think is the antenna motor , would it be a good idea to just cut the power one and tape it off ? thanks

Last edited:
Is there a fuse that could be pulled? Or is if you pull the antenna connection from the back of the deck, the motor won't get the signal and grind.

Why cut anything? I have a 99 and there is a button that put's the antenna up and down. If you lower it all the way it won't go up when you turn on the radio and you won't get the noise problem.

I don't see why you would want to cut wires. You may want to use the radio some day!

I had a similar issue...mast track broke and motor was grinding on the plastic stuck inside. I removed the glove box and unplugged the antenna control module (I'm pretty sure it's marked well). That will stop it without cutting anything. Once I replaced the mast, I plugged it back in and it works great.

This was on a '00 LX but I believe the antenna is the same.

Who said anything about cutting?

cruiser B said:
... would it be a good idea to just cut the power one and tape it off ? thanks
He did.

thanks everyone for the replies, my antenna is broke and the dealer is telling me $130 + to fix and i just dont want to spend that kind of money for something i dont really use just want to disable it because i am tired of hearing the horrible noise it makes everytime i start up or turn the car off
. Ah well i will go look under the hood and see what all i can do thanks everyone

cruiser B said:
thanks everyone for the replies, my antenna is broke and the dealer is telling me $130 + to fix and i just dont want to spend that kind of money for something i dont really use just want to disable it because i am tired of hearing the horrible noise it makes everytime i start up or turn the car off
. Ah well i will go look under the hood and see what all i can do thanks everyone

Easy to take out and put a new on in. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...46093QQitemZ4566034131QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I agee that the mast is easy to replace, provided that the entire mast and it's plastic track comes out as a whole. Otherwise, he'll need to pull the antenna out and remove the broken plastic track from within.

2 screws to remove the glove box and the antenna control module is right there on the left. Unplug the harness and it'll stop the motor from running altogether.

Regards,

Larry

I took a look at removing the drive assy on my LX b/c I thought I was going to have to go after some broken pieces. It looked pretty tough -- no access from engine bay. I got lucky and didn't end up needing to though...

I can't see it (although I think I will try to get the tool and see what I can get - thanks for the idea). When I got the new mast and spline it wouldn't retract all of the way, when I talked to the service guy at Toyota he said it was most likely because the a piece of the old spline was still in there - He quoted me $75 for Toyota to fix it.

fergusont said:
I can't see it (although I think I will try to get the tool and see what I can get - thanks for the idea). When I got the new mast and spline it wouldn't retract all of the way, when I talked to the service guy at Toyota he said it was most likely because the a piece of the old spline was still in there - He quoted me $75 for Toyota to fix it.

Just for info. Mine only goes down all the way when I turn the cruiser off or put in cd mode. It stays up a few inches if I just try putting it down with the switch on the dash. Just in case you are running into that.

Do you have the old part to compare to the new?

I thought I had some spline lost, but it turned out to be a small piece of metal. I only knew b/c I could lay the two out on the bench and compare spline lengths. You may also try a metal hanger with the tip bent to fit the opening on the assy. That's how I removed the metal piece from mine. It may not work on a piece of spline, though.

hey everyone, i jsut bought a vdj 76 gxl cruiser and the antenna control module is broken due to water damage.. i was wondering if anyone knew any other toyotas i can find the module in??? toyota quoted $490 AUS...

cheers james

James, this is a 100 series thread, but anyway i'd be checking out your local wreckers/salvage yards.
There's also online places that i'm trying to combine into a searchable website, but i am a while off that.
$490 is extreme. Mine cost me $120 new and installed by Toyota in 2007 on my LC100 2005 IFS GXL.
cheers
peter

I've read in another thread that the motor module in the fenders goes for ~US$300 new. The dealer quoted me $71 or so for the mast yesterday.

I haven't ready anywhere whether the UZJ shares the motor with any other Toyota models.

i wasnt suggesting that the two vehicles shared the same part. I was, however, suggesting that nearly $500 vs $120 was a bit extreme.
peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom