Questions regarding shocks for 0-2.5" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read a ton of past topics here about numerous shock options for stock and lifted 80's. My dilemma for my LX450 is simple and I was hoping to get some ideas from everyone. I have the following plan:

1. Get shocks installed (my LX450 has 249k miles on the originals as far as I can tell)

2. Install 2.5" lift or just spacers at some point or just keep it stock height.

Are there any decent shocks besides OME that would cover 0-2.5" of lift. My garage is too short for my LX450 if I lift it. I still have a lot of baseline and upgrades to do using the garage so it might be a year or two before I can get a lift. Plus I'm broke at the moment lol. It will be mostly a street ride with moderate offroad adventures for camping/hunting/fishing. Do any of the the following budget shocks fit the bill for my scenario?

Tokico stock LX450 shocks
KYB
Gabriel
Monroe
Rancho

I don't want wagon cart stiffness or a bouncy house ride. Something smooth with not much sway with some flexibility to upgrade springs in the future. Thanks!

Go with the Tokicos. They're set up specifically for your truck, err, well the 80 series version of it. If the LX OEMs are still available, they're plusher of course and the price tag likely is, too.

In truth, any shock listed in most catalogs is designed for an unlifted 80/LX. Stock height means you're good with most aftermarket shocks designed to replace OEM parts. When you get specifically to off road shocks, then you have to worry about longer ones to deal with lifted truck heights.

You did not mention changing your coils if you stay at stock height. You should, as they wear out. Yours are definitely due, as it made a dramatic difference on our truck with 100,000 miles less. Not sure about availability of stock coils, but OME's provide a useful overload. It's easy (so long as you juice all bolts thoroughly and use special caution on the rear shock mount bolts). No alignment or other issues as with lifted trucks. The ride will vastly improve. You'll fall in love with your truck all over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom