Questions regarding a head rebuild of a 1971, F type engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two questions:
Does anyone know the thread diameter and pitch on the head bolts? I had a head bolt seize and break trying to remove it. Next is the PB Blaster soak, the drill and easy out ritual. I need to find a new head bolt. Also taps and dies to clean up the other bolts and block threads. It measures out to be M13 x 1.75 but those are not common. Could someone verify? Those bolts, taps and dies are awful expensive. Are aftermarkets bolts available?

Question 2: The rocker arm oiler tube from the gallery has round black washer pressed on it. I believe this is some kind of vibration damper. Is that true function? Where does it go on tube? Does it rest against anything? On mine it was placed about 1/2 way between the top of the head and rocker arm oil fitting and touched nothing. This is not the first time this engine been taken apart and it may not have been re-installed correctly. That location or function did not make much sense. It does not show up anywhere in the FJ40 shop manual but it does show up in some illustrated parts lists. Questions in summary, what does it do and where does it go.

All this to cure a sticking valve.

Thanks for any help
John

Yes M13x1.75. John @pardion has head bolts, and you can get an extra one and make it into a thread chaser (dremel four equally spaced grooves in the threads parallel to the bolt shaft). I suspect that washer on the oiler tube is to keep the nut on the end from dropping into the block when it’s unscrewed.

I have used head bolts if you need any.
I’ve heard that rubber washer is to dampen the copper tube where it goes through the head and (as middlecalf said) keeps the nut from dropping down into the block and having to pull the side cover to get it out; not sure which is correct.
I have a bunch of F engine parts I need to clear out soon if you need anything. 2 complete stripped engines…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom