Questions on TIC Parabolics install--from TLCA group buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.humboldt.edu
Yep, finally getting around to installing these springs from the TLCA group buy a year ago:doh: . I won't even explain...

I've emailed TIC with these questions but I wonder if somebody here who has these springs can more quickly answer them.

1. Removed my right rear spring to start. As I went to install the new TIC spring, I put the military wrap end to the rear on the shackle. This puts the spring pin way (like 3") to the rear of the axle mount for it. I pulled the spring off and compared it to the old OEM (?) spring and of course it looks like it should be mounted the other way around (with the military wrap on the frame hanger) to get the axle in the right place. I was under the assumption that the military wrap should be at the shackle for all springs... But the OEM springs have their wrap at the frame hanger too.

2. Anybody know if they have changed the part numbers on the springs? The part numbers on my springs are not the same as what's currently on their website. Can anybody from the TLCA group buy confirm these part numbers for me?

TIC715420 front?
TIC715430 rear?

This is only my second spring install job (1st on my old FJ60), so if I'm doing something obviously stupid let me know.

If anybody wants old late model 40 series OEM springs (pretty flat in rear, otherwise solid) let me know.

:beer: :beer: :beer: B

Last edited:
I always thought it was military wrap on the fixed end. So I would say you have them backwards.

Can't help you with the second question.

good luck, and post pictures when you're done.

The military wrap normally goes on the fixed pin side because the pin sees larger loads than the shackle side.

Measure the amount of spring each way from the centerbolt. One side should be longer than the other. Put the long end toward the shackles for a stock install; put the long end toward the frame mount if you want to extend your wheelbase about 3".

There are a host of factors involved in doing the wheelbbase extension so you probably are better off going for the OEM way and save spring flipping for another time.

Don't worry about the wrap. No telling what some springmakers will do.

Thanks, that's what I figured after trying to install.

Why did I think that the big wrap was there to protect the spring end/shackle?

TIC emailed me too--I've gotten great customer service from them. Their guy Paul was really helpful when one of the springs arrived missing one of their interleaf bushings.

I will post pics and give a ride report. These things are supposed to have nice on road ride (a la coils) and great articulation off road.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom