Questions on a Pig for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good but for $12.5k I think the interior should be in fairly good shape

Pics of the interior and the motor
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

If he's been willing to reduce the price once, he'll probablybe willing to drop it a bit more. Especially if he's lost interest and wants it gone;)

If it's really in the condition he say's it's in, and the interior isn't a milk crate and mold, for a grand or so less, I'd say go for it!

You may actually save money on it this way.

I've always loved the looks of the pig but don't want to put the time and $$$$$$$ into restoring the "average" specimin that rolls down the pike.

*EDIT* Interior looks pretty damned good to me.

Check it out and if it's mechanically ok and he's willing to come down a bit more, I'd go for it!

Last edited:
Check it out and if it's mechanically ok and he's willing to come down a bit more, I'd go for it!

Thats part of my problem and why I asked, I am in Iraq right now, should be home in two months. I could have my wife pull the trigger on this but I wanted to know if any Mud Members knew anything about it.

I think 12k is alittle high on this rig. Do you know anything about the cancer. Is it clean at the rocker and floor pans? The interior look alittle beat up. Engine compartment looks really good. Thanks for what you did over in the sand box! Im a Marine, and I mean that!

Engine compartment looks really good.

except, the a/c compressor does not have a drive belt on it???? probably needs a fan shroud in your neck of the woods.
not sure about getting it thru smog ? not sure if it's needed.

it does look nice tho.

Thats part of my problem and why I asked, I am in Iraq right now, should be home in two months. I could have my wife pull the trigger on this but I wanted to know if any Mud Members knew anything about it.

:beer:Sorry, original post didn't say that. Understand your dilema. Hopefully, there's a member or 2 that can run by and put an eye and hand on it for you.

The one on Craigslists looks nice, but I'd do the same thing and have someone personally inspect it for you.

I bought my 62 with new paint...top rust now starting to rear it's ugly head!:bang::bang:

I'm the PO of this pig...the cleanest most rust free non-restored example I've ever seen. Spent most of its life in AZ except for a few years in CA. Bought in in AZ in 2008, gassed it up and drove it to CO, did some minimal cleanup and drove it for a year, then drove it to S. CA to deliver it to Jeremy. I have plenty of pics of it in its original paint before it was redone. Absolutely only rust was one quarter-sized bubble on the rear valance. Only bodywork that had ever been done prior to my ownership was a small portion of the r. rear corner. Strong crate SBC with Saginaw ps. Four speed at the time I owned it. From what I've read elsewhere the 700R4 conversion was professionally done.
If anyone on this board thinks they can duplicate this pig for $12,500...I have some beachfront property in W. CO to sell you. I have no connection to this sale...just wanted to add some info.

I'm the PO of this pig...the cleanest most rust free non-restored example I've ever seen. Spent most of its life in AZ except for a few years in CA. Bought in in AZ in 2008, gassed it up and drove it to CO, did some minimal cleanup and drove it for a year, then drove it to S. CA to deliver it to Jeremy. I have plenty of pics of it in its original paint before it was redone. Absolutely only rust was one quarter-sized bubble on the rear valance. Only bodywork that had ever been done prior to my ownership was a small portion of the r. rear corner. Strong crate SBC with Saginaw ps. Four speed at the time I owned it. From what I've read elsewhere the 700R4 conversion was professionally done.
If anyone on this board thinks they can duplicate this pig for $12,500...I have some beachfront property in W. CO to sell you. I have no connection to this sale...just wanted to add some info.

You're correct. It's doubtful that you could reproduce it for that amount; however, as we all know, one seldom gets out of a rig what they put into them:(

12.5 is still 12.5 and in this economy, it's still a lot of cash, unless it's going to be a DD.

Thanks for the additional info on the rig.

Maybe you could post the pics of the original condition, pre-paint pig to help the dude in the sandbox out a bit on his decision.:beer:

Thanks for chiming in as the PO, Jim. Let me clarify the pricing. $12.5k is more than the average pig out there, but this one is better than the average pig....by far. Also, I'm in for over $18k on the thing, so I am losing money at any price less than that.

Here's the full story....I bought it to build it up for daily driving, and it spent so long in the custom shop getting the trans and t/c work done that my wife had our first kid before I could get to the interior. A few months later, wife announced that I can't take the baby in it because it isn't safe enough - which means no family camping trips, etc. - completely destroying the point of having the thing (aside from my love of the old and ugly anyway). So, I broke down and bought (gulp) a 100 series. Therefore, the pig has to go.

Last edited:
Pics prior to repaint

Someone asked for pics from the PO prior to the repaint. Here are three...one when picking it up in Prescott, one on the drive to Colorado, and the third up at the top of Imogene Pass above Telluride on a wheeling/camping trip.
Landcruiser Prescott.jpg
Toyota 2.jpg
Summer 2008 052.jpg

When doing "rebuilds", you lost a LOT of money when selling them. You can kiss off almost ALL labor costs and probably close to half the material costs.

Maintenance items earn you nothing in sales price but will help move it quicker. Weather stripping falls in this list.

Paint is almost a maintenance item. A $6k paint job might add $1k to the price but raises HUGE flags about possible rust issues.

The thing that stick out to me is the engine bay. The air cleaner, missing radiator shroud, and AC lines are not what I call high dollar rig worthy.

With that said, I'd say it closer to a $10k rig than $12k.

As for the "If anyone on this board thinks they can duplicate this pig for $12,500", absolutely. $12k would easily cover the cost of parts and labor is in the realm of possibility for a lot of pig owners. The "only" challenge is finding a solid pig body.

I agree with LJ

I would also add that, as a personnel preference, the fact that the drivetrain is not factory is a big downside for me

Look in the classifieds, mine is pretty solid. Haha!

It is a good looking pig, but I can agree with the other's that what you pay is no where near what you will get out of it. Maybe 1/2. The little things can be a deal killer for prospective buyers......

Ryan.

all depends on where you look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom