Questions on a 3F motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Fj62 has landed and it has the 3F carburated motor 5spd.
Any one have info on this motor anything to look out for as far as problems.
How does it rate to the 3EFI that I a familiar with,is the power rating the same or less.
Can this motor be turboed,since it is carbed I think it would be easier to turbo just not sure if the motor will take the extra kick in the pants.
If this motor does not workout I may consider doing a 12ht diesel swap but want to give the gasser a chance it only has 88k on the motor.
00003652.jpg

Fuel injected motors re much easier to turbo/supercharge. Carbed motors have to be either a draw through set up or some sort of clunkt seals box arrangement... Fuel injection beats carbed in viertually every aspect... this one too.

In my mind the only positive of thr 3FE... is the fuel injection.

Mark...

Fuel injected motors re much easier to turbo/supercharge. Carbed motors have to be either a draw through set up or some sort of clunkt seals box arrangement... Fuel injection beats carbed in viertually every aspect... this one too.

In my mind the only positive of thr 3FE... is the fuel injection.

Mark...

The 3F is not a bad motor, from what I have seen in America your issue is not Carbi or EFI but wether you can run de smogged or not.

There are some issues with a 3F if you turbo them with the side loading on the piston as the skirts drop out of the bore.

I agree with mark on EFI, it is easier to turbo, but this may be limited by the capacity of the ECU on a 3FE. Carbi does not have this limitation. So both have their merits.

On the whole the 3F is like the 2F pretty a reliable work horse that wont let you down.

Last edited:
The rods on the 3f are too short. And the block is too

Excessive side loading on the piston skirts.

Does not have to be turbo'd to run into this. High rpm will destroy 3F pistons...

The advantage of the lighter rod/piston assembly is lost due to this. The 2F will actually take higher rpms better than the 3F

The longer rod of the 2F makes better torque than the shorter on of the 3F too

And the weak point of the 2F is the rod bolts... these can be upgraded.... not much that can be done about the rod and block length of the 3F.

Mark...

Does not have to be turbo'd to run into this. High rpm will destroy 3F pistons...

The advantage of the lighter rod/piston assembly is lost due to this. The 2F will actually take higher rpms better than the 3F

And the weak point of the 2F is the rod bolts... these can be upgraded.... not much that can be done about the rod and block length of the 3F.

Mark...

Slight hijack - Is there a specific part number (or intended application) for upgraded rod bolts that you have been using? Do you use ARPs?

Slight hijack - Is there a specific part number (or intended application) for upgraded rod bolts that you have been using? Do you use ARPs?

Search is your friend :p <----Link :D

Mark...

What is the maximum safe RPM for a 3f/3fe?

What would be the reason why Toyota made the changes for the 3f (coming from the 2f)? It seems there are only downsides. Any benefits?

Even for spikes, keep it below 5 grand even if balanced... below 4500 is probably a good idea.

I have been told that by not exceeding 4.0 liters the the taxes and such were lower on the vehicle... and the lower height of the motor kept it under the hood line, even with the EFI system sticking up higher.

But really, no benefit of the redesign that I can see.

Mark...

Love the ambi doors...landed? from where?

I like my 62 with the 3FE - but I agree with Mark on the 2F. (IMHO, the ideal setup is a 2FE - it can be done!) I also agree that running de-smogged is most definately an issue down here. The crap that was put on these engines to bring them to the States is ridiculous...

Japan.
Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of wiring and piping in the FE stuff,my wifes 62 has all that spaghetti in hers and its a nightmare I would rather do a diesel conversion

The emissions on the US model 3FE are not really all that complicated or extensive and are not that big a deal.... removing it all is simple too, and if you are not worried about installing the emissions in the first place... there really is nothing there to shy away from... IF yiu can come up with a sonor for the EFI systems.

The 3F/3FE is not a bad motor... it just would have been better if it had come from the factory as a 2FE... Upgrade the rod bolts, fine tune the balance, drop a higher lift/longer duration cam in there, bump the compression..... and you have an old school motor that runs a lot stronger then anyone would expect. For the time, effort and cost of doing it yourself (as opposed to the factory doing it), you could do better with a 1FZ or a smallblock swap. But... A tweaked 2FE unnder the hood of a '62 or an FJ80 will pass virtually all emissions inspections, where the other routes will not :)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom