Questions for you 80 guys... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I go with a 3FE 80 (1991-1992, I suppose, possibly early 93? as well), to swap over my 2H/H55F, I am going to need some bits...

This is a big if, and some of these questions (and more) will need to be answered before I decide.

Assuming I go the 80 route...

1) In the States in an 80 with the 3FE, is the transmission an A440F?

2) If I opt to keep my 5-speed and ditch the 4-speed auto, how hard will it be to find the clutch pedal provision for a LHD unit? I realize the 80 does not have a pedal bucket like the 60-series. All the 80 manuals I see (like those on Outback Imports) are for RHD units. I am not crazy about the idea of fabricating a bracket and pedal arm for this job. OEM, or probably not going to do it.

3) How much modding will be required for the console to accommodate a stick, or is there a decent supply of 5-speed 80-series consoles?

I am not worried about grafting my diesel-specific s*** onto an 80 wiring harness (because it will be damn near identical to the 62 harness, at least under the hood), but I am concerned about the fuel tank and filler neck, etc.

Anybody convert a 80 to diesel, specifically a 2H or 12-HT (or even 3B/13-BT)??? If so, what am I not thinking on, that will present issues I did not run into when I converted my 62 to diesel (and 5-speed)? I know the motor is a direct swap, no hassle there...

Mods, can you delete this thread please, I am going to just follow up in the thread linked above instead of creating another, redundant thread, now that I know that one exists...

just for your reference .. I source ( you can see in my 2009 Marilu upgrades thread ) an 80 series clutch pedal and bucket .. bolt on on my auto 80 .. also source new from Toyota a manual center console.

Cool project if you decide to go through with Tofu. :) Keep us posted if you go this route.

(deleting thread, can't you just delete post #1 to delete it?)

The H55 is not going to be a bolt on for any 80 series...IIRC, the H55 is short and the stick will sit jammed up against the dash. It can be done, but needs a bend to be made on the shifter. Someday it would be neat to get rid of the A440 and swap in an H55 behind my 12HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom