1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for 60s Owners:

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by VTCruiser, Feb 22, 2004.

1. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

As a new 60 owner, I have some questions about wheelin' with them. I didn't buy my 60 for rig strictly for going wheein' but that's not to say I won't when I get it up and running. I was looking for something more highway friendly with more space for all my college junk. I have never taken a 60 off road, and I don't expect them to perform as well as a smaller 40. I also know it has a lot to do with how the 60 is built up but there's a limit to any vehicle's capabilities, whether its too long, too wide, too heavy etc. So:
    1) Compared to other vehicles "in its class" or size range how do 60's perform off road?
    2) How do 60s perform off road in general?
    3) Strengths and Weaknesses?
    4) What kind of wheelin’ are they best at (rocks?, mud?, steep inclines?...etc)? Worst?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect and some tips for when I do get to take her off the highway. Thanks! :beer:

2. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=VTCruiser link=board=1;threadid=11895;start=msg108585#msg108585 date=1077473449]
    As a new 60 owner, I have some questions about wheelin' with them. I didn't buy my 60 for rig strictly for going wheein' but that's not to say I won't when I get it up and running. I was looking for something more highway friendly with more space for all my college junk. I have never taken a 60 off road, and I don't expect them to perform as well as a smaller 40. I also know it has a lot to do with how the 60 is built up but there's a limit to any vehicle's capabilities, whether its too long, too wide, too heavy etc. So:
    1) Compared to other vehicles "in its class" or size range how do 60's perform off road?
    2) How do 60s perform off road in general?
    3) Strengths and Weaknesses?
    4) What kind of wheelin’ are they best at (rocks?, mud?, steep inclines?...etc)? Worst?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect and some tips for when I do get to take her off the highway. Thanks! :beer:
    [/quote]

1) in it class ... full size 4 door Mmmmm Chevy sub not even close
    2) got love wheel base and whgt
    3)strengths ..T-O-Y-O-T-A- :cheers: weakness havent you seen the rear over hang :slap:
    4) wheeling "basic" to "hard" wheeling depends on how your set up I do light rock crawling lots of hill climbs/ trails and mud LOVE THE 60's she works great and when i gear and lock it she'll do better ... but she not a 40 .... but i do go places they cant :D

3. brian

brian SILVER Star

they'll climb right over those concrete curb thingies in parking lots effortlessly :D

4. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=brian link=board=1;threadid=11895;start=msg108607#msg108607 date=1077477837]
    they'll climb right over those concrete curb thingies in parking lots effortlessly :D
    [/quote]

this curb...
    [​IMG]
    or this one...
    [​IMG]
    how about this one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this one a locked TJ had ALOT of trouble gettin up with out a wheel stand ... and i walked up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like mine and she does real well

5. ca55idy

ca55idy

I have an 83 with a V8. When that 60 was having the engine installed, we bought an 82 fj60 for my wife to drive. I was commuting in our 67 fj40.
    Anyways... around here (SW Montana) when the forest service doesn't want anyone to drive a road they totally rip it up with a back hoe. Since the mountains around here are pretty rocky, the road becomes undriveable.

Anyways... We drove her 60 down one of those ripped up roads for about a mile before we turned around. [three point turn around on a narrow ripped up road!]

They are great if you want to go into the mountains and have some pretty serious fun from tooling around.

Aren't 60's more narrow than the 40's? I know at least the cab is. Just watch that long butt that hangs out over the rear axle

6. wildman4wheeler

wildman4wheeler

My only complant is the rear overhang everything else is just peachy does great in mud my freinds all have big v8s and 40 swampers and get stuck more than me with my 33 ats

7. devo

devo

Your only limited by what you put into it. When I bought my 60 new in 1984 it went almost everywhere. Years later after lockers, lifts, 5spd,
    bumpers, winch, etc. it will go just about anywhere in style. Now that it has a V8 and NV4500 it all the same places just gets there a little faster. I've had two 40's but with my 60 I can hall more stuff thus I can travel farther and stay out longer.
    Bottom line, you can't go wrong.

8. awileyone

awileyone

Kinda good offroad...

9. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    trim the rear fenders out 8) after a spring over and some trimin the lowest part of the ass end of my 60 is 30inchs of da ground.....your good to go ;) ( p.s. not my cruiser but super sweet pic)

10. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

wheelbase is generally better for steep hill work, where 40's backflip.

60 diff/axles are wider than 40's

11. Charlie

Charlie

I have an 89 FJ62 and a 97TJ. They're both good in their own ways. The TJ excels in tight areas, the FJ excels on hills and climbs. Both are built to the hilt (ie Lockers, Gears and Suspension) I bought the FJ to build as a Baja Truck and it's fantastic!!