Questions about ubolt and bushing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I'm about to replace all of the spring ubolts and spring bushings and have some questions.

-Should I remove the ubolts and lower the axle first and then replace the spring bushings?
-Can I just do one side at a time or will that flex the spring/ shackle to much on the opposite side? I'm really trying not to remove the axle.
-Is there an easier way?

As always thanks in advance,

Brian

birddog019 said:
Well I'm about to replace all of the spring ubolts and spring bushings and have some questions.

-Should I remove the ubolts and lower the axle first and then replace the spring bushings?
-Can I just do one side at a time or will that flex the spring/ shackle to much on the opposite side? I'm really trying not to remove the axle.
-Is there an easier way?

As always thanks in advance,

Brian

Do one axle at a time. You'll need jackstands that are tall enough to support your Cruiser by the frame rails and let the axle hang (wheels removed is easier). Unload the weight of the axle with a jack and support it. Support the pinion flange too or it will swing down when the u-bolts come off. Remove the ubolts, then the spring shackles. The springs will swing down and rest on the floor. Pull the spring pins on the other end and they're out. Replace bushings, and reverse the procedure and you're done! Easy as wrestling alligators :D

Depending on how rusty your Cruiser is you may need one or all of the following: Penetrating oil, impact wrench, pry bar, abrasive cutoff saw, flame wrench, BFH, really big punch and other assorted implements of destruction.

May your springs come along peacably :cheers:

Jack up the axle and do one side at a time. The only problem is that the bolts will not come undone and will not come out. You might have to cut the nuts with a torch and burn out the bushings. This is the easyest and lousiest job I have ever done. Make sure you have a lot of good beer for your helpers.

Thanks, well see what happens. Any idea how long this will take?

Two of us replaced the springs and swapped in a new front axle in a little over 5 hours. Never had done it before, but my "helper" is a real wrench. I'm sure that is not a world record, and we did run into flaming the bushings. My 40 year old U bolts gave it up pretty easily to an impact.

Be sure to retorque your U bolts after 25-50 miles. I was surprised at how they had changed.

GL

Ed

Louisg said:
Jack up the axle and do one side at a time. The only problem is that the bolts will not come undone and will not come out. You might have to cut the nuts with a torch and burn out the bushings. This is the easyest and lousiest job I have ever done. Make sure you have a lot of good beer for your helpers.

I would do one end at a time - front then rear. or vice versa...

Also, I left tires on so axle could rest on tires once I dropped the springs.
MVC-760F.JPG

PabloCruise, thanks for the link, I didn't read that one when I did a search. So BFH and Heat, sounds like fun! Maybe someday I'll get it on the road for the since the PO had it sitting for 10 years :mad: !

Thanks,
Brian

If theres any urgency at all about getting your rig back on the road after doing this project, I would go ahead and buy new uBolts. I had to cut 3 of mine to get them off when I did my SOA because the bolts were chewed from rocks. They arent cheap, but you may find you dont have a choice but to replace them, and you could always return the ones you didnt use.
This is one of those jobs that just seems so straight forward and quick, but inevitably turns into an all day job because of frozen bolts and bushings that wont budge. Best to error on the side of - its gonna take along time and I am going to have to replace everything. Infact, you might even consider replacing your springs center pin..

Get a breaker bar. It will be your friend.

good luck!
Dustin

I usually just use my engine hoist aka cherry picker and pull the front end up a bit. Always use a back-up device if something fails!!! Jackstands and lots 'o 6x6 blocks are my back-up usually. Then move on to the rear, and remember that a Sawzall and grinder are your best friend! Cuz its easier to remove and then you gotta replace it with better s***!!

when i pulled my springs off the first time i had no problem with the u bolts but i replaced them all anyways and as for the bushings some came right out and the ones that didnt were hell....the impact was my best friend. it was a real struggle for me...all day and a case of beer with the wrench hands. hopefully its easier for you. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom