Questions about some front end work I had done by a local mechanic... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, and cv axles installed by a local mechanic with a good reputation. I had bought the parts online (ACDelco, Sankei 555, and Toyota, respectively) and intended to do the work myself, but time got away from me and I wanted it done before an upcoming trip. I could see I needed new outer tie rods, so I just went ahead and bought the kit that had both inner and outer to be conservative. My wife picked up the truck after the work was done, and they told her the rack an pinion needed to be replaced because it was leaking. Isn't that what the inner tie rods connect to? Shouldn't this shop have called us when the truck was apart on the lift to tell us this?

I will monitor the power steering fluid, but the truck drives and steers fine. There was some grease on the lower control arms, but I thought that was coming from the CV's. I have not noticed any stains on the driveway. If I don't see the power steering fluid reservoir dropping, is it fine to keep driving it for a while, or is that asking for trouble? Also, can I get the rack and pinion without the inner tie rods from anywhere, or did I basically just waste the money on these new inner tie rods?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

By all means monitor your reservoir fluid level to see if adding becomes necessary. If losses are determined and leak is not bad, try adding a little AT-205 Reseal to your fluid. There's been many cases on here that were fixed with this product and lots of other uses for it as it is supposed to recondition seals and rubber components that are slightly worn or not as pliable as when originally assembled.

The grease was quite possibly from the CV's. I would keep an eye on the power steering fluid level and play it by ear (and feel). The power steering fluid is only auto transmission fluid which is very light oil. It will leak through seals that are the slightest bit worn. I would think the tell tale signs of a worn rack would be binding, knocking, tight or loose spots in your steering. If worst came to worst and you had to replace the rack and it came with tie rods you could either keep them as spares or sell them separately anyway. You can also buy an additive that will reduce leaking in the power steering.

Thanks for the replies! I will keep an eye on the reservoir and dripping underneath the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom