Questions about smoking Turbo 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up an HJ60 with a 2H and Turbo Glide turbo. On a cold start, it blows some white smoke and some black smoke with you hit the throttle.

Videos on YouTube:
YouTube - dillononthecoast's Channel

I imagine the black smoke is turbo lag and not something I should be concerned about. I don't plan on revving a cold engine with no load (which is what I did to get black smoke in the videos).

The white smoke is a bit more concerning. What is this trying to tell me? The PO reported consistent compression measured at a Diesel shop:
410, 410, 415, 415, 405, 410

I just picked up an HJ60 with a 2H and Turbo Glide turbo. On a cold start, it blows some white smoke and some black smoke with you hit the throttle.

Videos on YouTube:

I imagine the black smoke is turbo lag and not something I should be concerned about. I don't plan on revving a cold engine with no load (which is what I did to get black smoke in the videos).

The white smoke is a bit more concerning. What is this trying to tell me? The PO reported consistent compression measured at a Diesel shop:

I would get the compression done again and see for yourself. I would not trust the PO's numbers. If compression is fine then it could also indicate your injectors need to be rebuilt.

I'd turn the idle up so it's at approx. 750 RPM when warm. And, on cold start, give it enough throttle to hit 1000RPM to get the oil flowing and until the smoke and idle smooth out.

Also, how long are you glowing it before cold start? Does it still have superglow or replaced with a manual glow system? Seems like it needs more glow heat.

Also, how long are you glowing it before cold start? Does it still have superglow or replaced with a manual glow system? Seems like it needs more glow heat.

I'm not sure on the glow system. I'll ask the PO.

In the vid, it glowed for about 10 seconds or so. Today I let it glow for about 30 (until the timed light went out) and got about the same amount of white smoke.

oil rings .. hey but don't worry that much about that .. ( I don't :D )

Edit: after seen your vid .. It looks to me that your glow plugs aren't doing the job properly ( irregular idle ) check 'em

I second that it sounds like a glow issue. The super glow system gives full volts initially then partial volts later for a few second. Sounds like the after glow part is not working. Do a wilson switch and manually glow your plugs and you will be much happier. Eventually all the stock glow relays fail. Do check your plugs to make sure that all of them actually work though.
g

And you should smarten up impossible. Noobs asking questions if part of why this site exists. We were all ignorant to diesels at one time. If you want to post like that go do it on pirate or facebook or something.
g

Now after looking at the great Videos , Glow plugs , seeing it puffs after all are firing, plus as gerg said , nozzles look as one is not working nicely. It shows a idle wiggle on one only.

VT

Videos on YouTube:

Hi Dillon,
Give me a call if you want, as I'd offered.

The truck has a fixed delay glow system, as it is from central america. It glows for about 20 seconds.

The idle is very low when it is cold-that's what the manual throttle is about. if you do not hit thew throttle or use the manual idle it will idle below 500rpm when cold, which is too low. start it up, give it a little throttle and adjust the idle up to just under 1000. the smoke will go away within seconds.
The white smoke you are seeing is unburned fuel (I am sure you can smell this). When the machine warms up the unburned fuel will be black smoke.

As you said, if you rev it without load you actually should get black smoke, otherwise you are underfueling.

A smoke color you have to be concerned with is blue, as this means it is burning oil (which this truck does not).

You can check the glow plugs-I have sent you an email in the morning how you do this. I do not know if they are all good, but they are new and the truck starts every time, which means most of them are good. a 2H does NOT start without glow plugs, and certainly not in the cold.

If the plugs are bad, I will send you a set of new ones for free.

The injectors have been replaced with rebuilt ones recently, maybe 5 to 10 k ago, so they should be perfectly fine. The receipt should be in the folder I gave you-if not I can most likely look it up here.

I hope that helps, cheers,
Jan

That you're a f'n d!p$hit noob with no knowlegde about diesels engines.

F you and your snoodle brother Surveyor.
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Shut up already and go back to polluting your own thread. It seems you are calling names enough there.

Yes, he is a newbie. All that means is that he has to learn. Unless you were born with all your knowledge, of course.

I would also say glow system. Mind you in the video where you rev the engine after 5 mins of warm up, it sure blows alot of black. I'd say the fuel is turned up a fair bit to get that much black smoke.

Sad that Mr. Impossible can't play nice with Mr. Dillon. Hey, the guy is just trying to educate himself, lay off. I can see you being a dick in your own sale thread but when a guy is just trying to educate himself on diesels why bash him the way you are? Sheesh!

Thanks for the info everyone.

Jan - I saw your email a bit ago. I am putting together my list of questions for you. One of them was going to be about the glow plugs, but I see you already found my thread and answered it before I could ask.

Now that's what I call service :)

You'll become very accustom to the ins-and-outs of your new cruiser. Not sure if you've owned an old cruiser before, but they have their own personality and you'll develop a routine and understanding of how they behave.

You've got a great cruiser that will take you where you need to go and back, multiple times. Just keep the oil fresh and never let it overheat.

This is my first cruiser & first Diesel.

Closest I've come before:
  • We had an FJ40 when I was a kid.
  • I used to drive a '78 F150 gasser (sold that 2 years ago)
  • I had a job driving a Diesel Chevy box van when I was in high school, so I am vaguely familiar with glow plugs

Other than that, it's going to be a long learning experience.

Since Mr Jan-78FJ40

Has answered most of this and is helping , plus knows more than I do about this machine , My comments were as close as I could from a Video. Throttle pulled to 1000 rpm max , and glows that show a miss after starting for only one cyl that creates a miss and puffs , has always had a poor / dirty buss bar connection .

Not receiving full power. quick test is run the glows 3 times and don't start , If you feel any hot spot on the buss to plug hotter than another or any hot area that's not supposed to get hot , that's a major problem FIRST>

VT & Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom