Questions about brake issues - Help me overhaul my brakes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey! Just got back from holiday and noticed my brakes have gotten harder to push in. They do get easier to push in after the truck has braked a couple times but the initial braking from a stop is like with no booster at all. I replaced the booster vacuum valve and hose with the kit from wits end back in October. My brake pads are at 2mm in the front and slightly more in the back but I'm just gonna go ahead and overhaul this system. The axle to caliper brake lines are original and old so I plan on replacing them (In addition to frame to axle). The brake fluid is dark and old but before I attempt to flush it I want to have the parts ready.

Here is what I plan to replace currently:
  • Napa Ceramic Brake Pads (F/R).
  • Napa Eclipse Calipers (F/R).
  • Wits end SS Extended Brake Lines (OEM are aged and cracked).
  • Brake Fluid
  • Deleting the ABS and LPSV
Heres what I want to know:
I don't want to half-ass the overhaul so if you have any recommendations let me know. I want the brakes working properly again and the components to last many years on.

Is the ABS currently causing problems? Why disable it?

Is the ABS currently causing problems? Why disable it?
Even with properly cleaning and multiple axle rebuilds my ABS light has always been on. Unfortunately I believe the sensors are damaged and buying another set isn't feasible. After looking at results of other peers, I think deleting the ABS is the direction to go. Although my main concern is the cause(s) of a stiff brake pedal and what brake components should be replaced as preventative maintenance.

Unfortunately I believe the sensors are damaged and buying another set isn't feasible.
If you need replacement sensors you should contact mud member @slow95z, he is always parting out 80's, and I'm sure he would be willing to sell you a used set for a reasonable price.

This thread helped me immensely. There are a lot more little details to it than meets the eye if you care about sht like that (I do / ymmv).

I also went with that same booster from the same vendor, but also bought a new Aisin master cylinder for peace of mind. My brakes are factory fresh now and perform quietly with no fuss. NAPA crap can stay far away from my 80.

gl!

You can tell which sensor (if that's what it is) with an ohm meter. Unplug the sensor at the wheel and measure the resistance across the two prongs. Should get a reading of .77M ohms.
If all the sensors prove out, plug the wires back in and go back to the next plug, and repeat, you may have a broken wire.
If they check out there, go back to the next plug in line....

I have several months on front Napa Eclipse calipers with about 7k miles and a lot of wheeling where brakes get used a lot and no issues yet. Ceramic pads are usually quiet and create little dust but if you want to stop, semi metallic pads do better - been there done that.

I removed abs last spring during my brake system overhaul and don’t miss it but I also converted to a hydrobooster and larger bore master cylinder. Now my pedal stays higher and firmer and stopping distance is shorter; no more pumping once or twice before the actual stop.

If you insist on sticking with stock stuff then you can’t go wrong with oem parts.

This thread helped me immensely. There are a lot more little details to it than meets the eye if you care about sht like that (I do / ymmv).

I also went with that same booster from the same vendor, but also bought a new Aisin master cylinder for peace of mind. My brakes are factory fresh now and perform quietly with no fuss. NAPA crap can stay far away from my 80.

gl!
Thank you, I actually did not know how comparably close the price of OEM remans were to the Eclipse remans. It looks like various online retailers have Front R/L (47730-60060-84) at about $75.00 and the Rear R/L (47730-60070-84) at about $65.00. Do these part numbers come loaded with pistons/seals or do I need the additional parts: Front Overhaul Kit (04479-60020) and Rear Overhaul Kit (04479-60030) + 8x Front Pistons (47731-60010) at $22 ea & 4 Rear Pistons (47731-60020) at $22 ea.

If they don't come loaded, am I better off just taking my original calipers and just rebuilding them? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I'd hate to scrap a wall removing a piston and have my DD down for more days than needed waiting for more parts to come in.

I plan on using the booster from the same vendor and the aisin master cylinder as well. Still up in the air on the brake pads.

Thank you, I actually did not know how comparably close the price of OEM remans were to the Eclipse remans. It looks like various online retailers have Front R/L (47730-60060-84) at about $75.00 and the Rear R/L (47730-60070-84) at about $65.00. Do these part numbers come loaded with pistons/seals or do I need the additional parts: Front Overhaul Kit (04479-60020) and Rear Overhaul Kit (04479-60030) + 8x Front Pistons (47731-60010) at $22 ea & 4 Rear Pistons (47731-60020) at $22 ea.

If they don't come loaded, am I better off just taking my original calipers and just rebuilding them? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I'd hate to scrap a wall removing a piston and have my DD down for more days than needed waiting for more parts to come in.

I plan on using the booster from the same vendor and the aisin master cylinder as well. Still up in the air on the brake pads.

Good question but I can’t respond with certainty.

Apologies.

If you look at the pic I posted of the reman OEM calipers you’ll see that it comes with the seal and pistons. What I don’t know for sure is what the rebuild kit contains, but I did end up returning some parts because the shop I use said I didn’t need them.

Just make sure not to forget the banjo bolts and copper whatever listed as part of a complete overhaul. Onur pointed these out and I usually heed his advice.

Who knows where $65 reman’d oem calipers were reman’d. At the same price as eclipse, probably at the same factory in Mexico or ........

Members have reported buying Napa reman’s only to discover that they are Toyota reman’d calipers.

Who knows where $65 reman’d oem calipers were reman’d. At the same price as eclipse, probably at the same factory in Mexico or ........

Members have reported buying Napa reman’s only to discover that they are Toyota reman’d calipers.
The difference I have been able to find between them is the Toyota remans have a 12 month warranty and the eclipse calipers command a lifetime warranty assuming normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom