Questions about a specific truck with rust for a potentially first time FJ80 owner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all, I’ve been looking to get into the cruiser game for a while now and finally have a chance to actually do it. I’m looking at a specific cruiser that spent the majority of its time in Idaho and I am definitely concerned about the rust since I’ve never had to deal with it being in Southern California. I am looking for some advice on what to look for or test before I decide to pull the trigger. Thank you in advanced!!

Now onto the truck;

here is the ad copied straight from the seller:
“Great running and driving land cruiser, lifted 2 inches with spacers, castor correction bushings, new tires, center diff lock only, good a/c and heat, I believe everything works as it should expect for the rear wiper, engine light is on has code 71 which I believe is egr flow, front diffs leak, selling because I really don’t go off-road and would like to get something a little more highway friendly $6000 obo Possible part trade gx470 lx470 or 4th gen 4Runner ”
I’m not going to lie, I don’t know Jack s*** about cruisers or much about 4x4s since I’ve only built racecars and not trucks so there may be some spoon feeding needed here and for that I apologize.

The seller is asking $6k and is willing to have my buddies shop look at it for a pre-purchase inspection. Does the rust look like it could be a major issue?
DEE7501A-64C0-43B8-B58D-6E4243208338.png
1E80BE91-E503-41A9-AEEA-E90F0EC908A6.png
557C50CA-BFE1-47A8-87F0-353382495957.png
8B40247E-D76A-46E7-8163-6ACDF8C8BD52.png
239C4BA1-B326-4ECD-9AB1-A0EACEF592BD.png

The pictures show some surface rust, which doesn’t look too bad. I’d have the shop have a look at it with the rust in mind. Removing the rust and painting those surfaces can be a big job, but the pictures don’t show enough be be a huge concern. I’d want to see pictures of the frame near the middle section of the truck.

The ad makes it pretty clear maintanence hasn’t been a priority with the previous owner. Does he have records? Has the head gasket been replaced?

The pictures show some surface rust, which doesn’t look too bad. I’d have the shop have a look at it with the rust in mind. Removing the rust and painting those surfaces can be a big job, so I’d take a closer look at it. I’d want to see pictures of the frame and the middle section of the truck.

The ad makes it pretty clear maintanence has been a priority with the previous owner. Does he have records? Has the head gasket been replaced?
I appreciate the reply! And I have not asked about the head gasket since it was just this morning I learned this was around the time they start to decline or fail. I will definitely be asking that next! Thank you

Here’s a couple resources to look at while buying a truck.

80 Series Newbie Guide - Slee Off Road

Pre-buy inspection

and some general notes....

Don’t settle for an abused truck. Take the time and wait for the right one. Anything under 200k is a winner, but, not necessary.

I’d want to know if it uses oil & how much.

I’d ask if the headgasket is original or a replacement? If replaced, was the head surfaced & were the stem seals changed?

I’d also want to know the last front axle service done? Look for caked on crap on the front knuckles since they are rarely serviced.

Look for something with documented maintenance If possible, but not a deal breaker. I want to see receipts galore & do a very good inspection from running every last control to doing full lock circles to see if the birfields are ‘clicking’ AKA need replacing or swapping side-for-side.

Lockers are a bonus, but if not locked, you can always add them later. Better to find a good condition, well maintained truck.

Some say ‘93- ‘94 are the best years...OBD1, no airbags, best engine, best tranny... etc....

‘95- ‘97 have airbags, full float rear diff, OBD-II

3FE parts are starting to become scarce. ‘93 and up has a good following for aftermarket stuff or OEM.

Plan on spending $2500+ to get it baselined (hoses, gaskets, o rings, seals, tools, cooling system updates, knuckle rebuild, fluids, etc). If you get a cheaper rig, budget for more in catch up maintenance.

Check New Mexico and AZ rigs. Rust free and you can find some gems down here for a decent price.

Also keep in mind that the 93 and 94 model years had the slightly shorter birfields which makes them easier to find Aisin hubs for if you choose to convert to part time 4x4. And they also have the better looking front grill without the space cowboy emblem.

Worth paying a premium for no rust and/or an enthusiast maintained vehicle. Check the ih8mud classifieds, the Toyota Land Cruiser marketplace group on here, etc.

If I was to do it again I’d look in the Southwest and ship it or make the journey. No rust on these old Toyota’s is such a treat. Makes working on them fun instead of a ****ing nightmare with broken bolts and stripped nuts at every turn.

And Welcome to MUD !!!

What rust?

Can't believe I'm the first to say it :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom