Questions about a 2f rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im going to have to have my engine rebuilt in my fj-60. unfortunately i do not have the time nor the tools to take on this project myself, so i am going to have to out-source. if anyone has any tips or things to watch out for to relay to the mechanic, please let me know. i have looked at a couple cruiser places and gotten prices of rebuild kits. around $1500, does that sound right? can anyone recommend a good kit from a decent place?. id appreciate any help!

cheers

Just rebuilt mine and used the Cruiser Solutions Master rebuild kit $1500 or so. The biggest thing I learned is that there is a 24mm expansion plug in the oil circuit that goes on the front of the block. The shop that bored, honed, and cleaned my block asked, "want us to put the plugs in?", I said sure. They did not use an OEM toyota part for this and it blew out going down the road, blowing all the oil out. Turns out not all that uncommon.

MAKE SURE THIS PART IS OEM, part #90330-24013

Last edited:
Whats in the 1500$ kit?

You're going to take the rig to a mechanic, the mechanic will pull the engine. The mechanic will take the engine to a machinist. The machinist will order the rebuild kit. ( The machinist will order the RIGHT rebuild kit, and get the best price. If you order the rebuild kit, it will probably be wrong.)

Why replace the pistons?

I'd pull the head and check the bore before ordering anything.....

Who knows? it may need to be bored-out...........

That's too bad and sounds like a lot of damage. Do you know for sure it is rebuildable? I would definitely have it disassembled by the machine shop before making any decision about the rebuild.

You might be $$ ahead buying a running motor from a parted out 60, and rebuilding that. These motors come up all the time in the for sale section.

This thread seems to have been Hi-Jacked, What about bubbleoseven?

feel free to hi-jack! :) the kit i was looking at was the one from cruiser solutions. the way the kit works, is you have the machine shop do all the boring and grinding, then order the kit with the new measurements of the pistons and bearings. im just wondering if thats a bit overkill, ordering a whole complete kit, without really getting into the engine and possibly fixing only what needs it. its tough to find a place with the "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" mentality. my local machine shop quoted me 1200 for the rebuild using my kit. thats a bit high right?

thank you for the heads up about the OEM part!!

You have a garage?

rebuild the motor yourself :)

Tear into it before you go replacing everything..
In my experience, most of the 2F's out there do not need new pistons.

id like to take on this project myself. it would be a nice way to bond with her...but.. space, time, and tools >.<... i think im going to have the motor dissected then go from there.

So you have a kit for 1500$ plus machine shop cost 1200$ and what about remove and replace cost?

Might as well buy a rebuilt long block from someone like Jasper Engine MFG. and take advantage of their 100K mile 3 year nation wide warranty........

Remember: a rebuilt product is only as good as the person rebuilding it...........

yeah, the kit is 1500, plus around 1200 to rebuild, plus the price to pull it out and put it in. it might be cheaper to build myself a garage, buy some tools, grab a couple cases of brew, and take a week off work......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom