1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about 35"s...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by VTCruiser, Mar 1, 2004.

1. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

After my motor swap this summer (1HZ, H55F, stock axles/gears) I hope to get a lift for the ol' 60 (if my bank balance permits). I have thought about a 2.5"-3" lift with 33"s but now I am wondering why not just go for a 4" with 35"s. ::) I plan on doing as much wheelin' as possible but I have a 1000 mile drive to and from school which means the cruiser will see as much time on road as off-road. So, it will need to be a decent, economical, and safe highway driver. The questions:
    1) 35"s will fit under a 4" lift right?
    2) Is this setup not suitable for long highway driving? too tall for a daily driver?
    3) Are there any additional compications/modifications that need to be addressed with a 4" lift? Brake line extentions, regear for 35's? Steering? etc.
    3) What would you recommend?
    4) PICS! any one got picks of a 60 with 35's?

Oh, I am not quite ready for an SOA....not yet anyway... :D TIA

2. troyintahoe

troyintahoe

Spring over is the only way. I drive a windy mountain road every day. I also do long highway hauls with no probs. SOA on 35's.

3. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

don't tempt me troy....haha

4. theferg

theferg

Media:
    Right before I did my SOA, some dude was sellin' a 5" lift for an FJ60. It was 4" lift springs from Alcan and the other inch from extended shackles. I almost went for it 'cause he was sellin' it for such a good deal and I just wanted to get 35s under my rig. Anyway, if you don't have the resources for an SOA, you could fit 35s with a 4-5 inch SUA lift. Here's a pic of the guy's 60 with the 5" lift and 35s.

-Ferg-

5. theferg

theferg

Media:
    This one is a 6" lift with 35s.

6. theferg

theferg

Media:
    This one also has 35s. But I suspect that the tires rubbed a bit under compression... There's no doubt that an SOA will flex a helluva lot better than an SUA rig at the same height. Also an equal height SUA lift to an SOA will ride waaaaaay harsher and stiffer than an SOA. If done correctly, both could handle (steer) near the same. But, you can stuff 35s under with a about a 4+ inch SUA lift.

-Ferg-

7. theferg

theferg

Media:
    Also, though they look absolutely horrid on FJ60s, you could *gasp* put a body lift on to help clear some 35s with an SUA lift... :slap:

Found another one with 35s. This dude was runnin' OME heavy suspension.

BTW, I don't know whose rigs these are....

-Ferg-

8. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

Alright, so from what I've gathered, you are saying at four inches of lift i may as well go for an SOA? I was under the impression that SOAs lift a truck more like 6" inches? is this true? My main concern about the SOA is that its a little too tall and tipsy for highway driving especially with the soft stock springs. For those of you have an SOA, are you comfortable driving you rig on the interstate at speeds up around 75 mph? As my daily driver, this is key and something that tall makes me a little nervous. Is regearing necessary with 35's?

I gotta do a little more research regarding an SOA. And to think just last week I was sure I would go no taller than a 3" llift....I hope you know its all y'all's fault that I am even considering this now!

Damn, 35's really look sharp don't they....keep the pics coming! thanks....

9. 72cruiser

72cruiser

it's sooooo tempting isn't it gehn? ha ha.

them big tires look nice, it's gonna be hard not to do it.
    unless you're like me: broke like it's my job. ha ha.

i would talk to the ferg some more about the SOA, he's the most recent guy i know that's done an SOA on a limited/college budget. he also put that sick FF/locker rear in there. (ummm, no mr. customs agent, i have nothing to declare...)

have a good one gehn, and i'll holler at you later,

malphrus

10. cwb

cwb

I have a spring over and run 33s and don't have any stability problems, although it obviously feels different and takes a little getting used to.

11. theferg

theferg

Media:
    That's not quite what I was saying. It's more like, SOA rules SUA in most areas when you compare equal heights. But depending on money, skills, tools, time, etc, etc one might be better suited than another for somebody. SOA takes quite a bit of time and skill and can take quite a bit of $$ if you can't do a lot of it yourself or with buddies. Mine took almost three weeks and probably $400-500. SUA could also be a lot of $$, but there's good lift kits in the $700 range, and any average Joe with some tools and a floorjack could swap leaf springs in about a day or so. Just make sure whichever way you go, it's what you want, and you do it right the first time or you will end up paying later. My dumbass refused to put on a trackbar after I finished the SOA until I got my FF rear 'cause I didn't want to do that twice--ended up killin' my rear springs and have now got to replace them. Also doesn't help to break off your shocks when you're rallyin' around in the desert--that kills springs too. Needless to say, I get to replace all my springs now. ::)

Also, dude, I run my Cruiser at about 80 mph on the Interstate--without shocks and without swaybars. It's not bad at all. The bad part is hittin' those cracks for the overpasses. :eek: But it doesn't feel typsy, just kinda bounces all over for a sec or two. Was great before when I had all the shocks on it. Just get some relatively stiff shocks to balance it out and I bet it would help out to have front and rear swaybars too. Anway, the turns on most Interstates usually aren't that sharp. Other roads are a different story.

-Ferg-

12. theferg

theferg

Media:
    Oh ya, and my 60 went up between 7 to 8 inches and the springs I had on it before were 2" lift springs. 'Course that was with add-a-leafs in the springs for the SOA. Also, if I wouldn't have killed all my springs, I think they would've settled an inch or two after a bit.

-Ferg-

13. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

I work at a body shop summers (or used to, may be doing an internship this summer) so time is really my only concern there. I can weld and fab well but I got another project to finish up this summer. I'm gonna read up more on the SOA setup, I may end up keeping the 31's until I have the time....

I had it all figured out to......haha

There's a turbo on the mod list too....hope that internship pays well....lol Thanks for the input guys :beer: