Question to Australian FJ60/62 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I want to ask about 60 series fuel tank recall to Australian 60 series owner.
I know all 60 series land cruiser in USA was recalled because of fuel tank problem.
How about in Australia ?
Is it same with USA ? or not ?
If there's Australian user who already done this recall, inform me about your procedure was.

Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

I don't know about Australia, but I doubt they had the same recall. The USA tank recall was because of a defective EPA mandated fuel vapor system that causes large pressure swings inside the tank. Eventually this fatigues the tank, popping it apart at the seams.

HTH.

FJ40Jim said:
I don't know about Australia, but I doubt they had the same recall. The USA tank recall was because of a defective EPA mandated fuel vapor system that causes large pressure swings inside the tank. Eventually this fatigues the tank, popping it apart at the seams.

HTH.

Thank you Jim,
The reason why I ask this question is figure out my situation.
I required Toyota Korea about fuel tank recall and I receive phone call from them about part arrival.
But arrived part is fuel tank for 3FE, not fuel tank for my 3F motor.
So, I asked again and they said that as a case of FJ62, only FJ62 which equiped with 3FE motor was racalled.
I can't agree with their explain that I asked this.

Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

ps, What means HTH ? Could you please tell me ?
In this forum, I always have difficulty about abbreviations because I'm not native english speaker. :)

Your 3F truck probably has only basic emission control system, about like an Aussie truck from the 1980's. No problem with fuel tank overpressure and failure.

The 3FE truck probably have a more restrictive emission system that causes the fuel tank fatigue failure.

HTH = Hope This Helps.

schaats said:
In this forum, I always have difficulty about abbreviations because I'm not native english speaker. :)

Just ask...no big deal. You speak English way better than any of us speak Korean!!

Thank you Jim and Doug !

I'm from aus and have never heard of the recall till i read this site ;)

Probably as someone said to do with emissions. We have very lackluster emission standards here - mainly on older vehicles and diesels, but it's slowly getting harsher. (not as harsh as it sounds in some us states though. most standards aren't forced on cars built before the standard came in)

http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/Search_Form.asp?Category=Cars

Problem: PETROL TANK CRACKING
Make: TOYOTA
Model: Landcruiser
Variant: FJ62
Date Range: 1987-1989
VIN Ranges: 0073028, 0121645 0700000, 0703164 0750001, 0750272
Defect: Continuous driving under extremely severe conditions can create high pressure in fuel tank. Resultant stress may cause excessive load to where tank separator is welded to interior of fuel tank.
Consequences: Fuel tank may crack and leak.
Corrective action: Inspect and replace fuel tank and hoses.
Notif. Date: 26/06/1991
DOTARS No.: R91/020
Supplier Name: TOYOTA
Campaign No.: 15008

dibbz said:
http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/Search_Form.asp?Category=Cars

Problem: PETROL TANK CRACKING
Make: TOYOTA
Model: Landcruiser
Variant: FJ62
Date Range: 1987-1989
VIN Ranges: 0073028, 0121645 0700000, 0703164 0750001, 0750272
Defect: Continuous driving under extremely severe conditions can create high pressure in fuel tank. Resultant stress may cause excessive load to where tank separator is welded to interior of fuel tank.
Consequences: Fuel tank may crack and leak.
Corrective action: Inspect and replace fuel tank and hoses.
Notif. Date: 26/06/1991
DOTARS No.: R91/020
Supplier Name: TOYOTA
Campaign No.: 15008

Thank you for your information,
It means that carburetor 3F motor powered FJ62 also have same recall campaign as well as 3FE powered FJ62.(Because no 3FE powered FJ62 were sold in Aus.)
FJ60 and 62s which sold outside of USA have only very basic emission control equipments usually.
So, it means that fuel tank may fails with or without emission related environment.

Thank you again.

Oh, Min Seok

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom