question suzuki sidekick .tire change and ECM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
question was wondering if anyone could explain to me ,how the larger tires would affect the ECM .and shift points and if need be how to correct .this . vehicle 1997 sidekick .3 inch body, 3 inch suspension . 31's ,auto with overdrive . as it is now i had to disable the OD ,just a flip of the switch . was wondering if .correcting the speedo ,would help out with the ECM . is there someway to get the computer reflashed ? or is a gear change the only sorta solution . has 5.13's stock . if it was a stick it would have a taller gear .4.88 or something . was thinking for a temporary fix . i may be able to look into a speedo gear from a 5 spd. with the taller gear . might help abit with the ecm . cause in theary with the larger tires i went to a taller gear .by putting on the 31's .?? haven't tried hard talking to a suzuki mechanic . but i thought i would ask some of you . this thing is my wifes rig . just looking for some suggestions or ideas .
sidekick 19 (Medium).JPG

Jake, nice looking 'Kick. Trucks came with 5.13 or 4.62 R/P gears.
I'm not certain I understand your question...are you saying that the bigger tires have diminished your top-end power?

There are a few sites I will recommend for your Suzuki tech. Probably the best Sidekick assembly of tech knowledge is at ACK's FAQ's. I can't remember the URL, but you can find the link on http://www.godzuki.us.

Also, http://www.izook.com has a lot of good Suzuki tech, and it's a good e-zine that gets updated each month with features and articles.

Tracy

thanks for the links .will check them out . i was a little tired when i posted the question .some guys at work had seen the kick .and started telling me i had messed the ecm up and needed it reprogramed for the larger tires . i guess i am curious on how the auto decides when to shift gears .certain rpm .or certain speed . and does it need correcting . just asking for some thoughts . ,it does shift early sometimes .causing it to bog . ,the engine has good power tho. eventually i will be regearing . . just would like it to hold the gear alittle longer . and when she is wheeling .sometimes it won't shift down .it will just stay in the gear it was in . even if you mash it to the floor . never noticed any of this with the stock tires . maybe the little motor just can't turn the 31's need gears .

.:cheers: Jake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom