1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding Cats (converters not feline)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by phxtlc, Feb 26, 2007.

1. phxtlc

phxtlc

Does it make a difference how far back a cat can be mounted from the manifold? Does exhaust temp affect how efficent they perform?

Thanks.

2. IBCRUSN

IBCRUSN

Media:
    Albums:
    yes and yes. Off the top of my head I don't recall the details but the distance effects temp which effects the cat getting to light off temp. The closer the better. The farther away the cat gets it may not light off and not perform correctly and IIRC if it doesn't reach temp it won't last very long before it fails.

3. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

x2....

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

you could do some exhaust wrap to compensate.

5. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

ya', but that's just added cost, and then it gets wet...

6. IBCRUSN

IBCRUSN

Media:
    Albums:
    then rusts

7. ThePookieBear

ThePookieBear

Have any of you run those cats that the ricer guys use? The "off road use only" ones that supposedly add horse power. They seem to be pretty much a straight through flow with little resistance. What happens if you run with out the cats completely? Other than smog stuff but suppose that wasn't an issue.

8. RavenTai

RavenTai

had no problems with rust on a previous vehicle, had stainless exhaust like the 80.

If you are going back with steel in the salt belt i could see there being a problem.

9. cary

cary

That is a called a bypass test pipe, it isn't a cat.

Please replace your cats. Without them, you dump huge amounts of crap in the air for little to no performance gain. While I am not a tree hugger, it makes no sense to create large amounts of pollution for no performance gain.

10. RavenTai

RavenTai

the cats at least on a 96 are already a high flow desighn, kind of liek a window screen extruded, you can see right through them,

11. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

X2...

Magnaflow has high flow spun cats, and so does someone else. They tuck up nice cause they're small. If you're OBDII, with two O2 sensors, one before the cat, and one after, it will throw error codes without a cat. I figure keeping the cat keeps me legal, doesn't hurt performance (some tests show taking out the cat hurts performance on OBDII cars), and it doesn't give the eviro-nazi's any amunition. One car vs. one powerplant, the car isn't going to make much difference in the overall scope of things. It will make a difference when treehugggers see you out on the trail with no cats and they have one more thing to hit us with.