Question re spring around rear oil seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m finally finishing up my front and rear axle rebuild project. This project has been a great learning experience and I definitely wouldn’t have been able to compete it without this forum. I ran into a smaller issue this morning that I wanted to ask about. As I was setting my rear oil seal, I noticed the spring on the seal popped out of place on one side of the seal after I had installed the seal (likely from me hitting the installation tool too hard). I was able to shove the spring back in the crevice and did everything I could to make sure it was back in there properly, but i cannot be certain that the spring is back where it should be on the seal. Would it be best to just get a new seal from the local parts store or am I probably fine to use the seal I just installed?

I’m finally finishing up my front and rear axle rebuild project. This project has been a great learning experience and I definitely wouldn’t have been able to compete it without this forum. I ran into a smaller issue this morning that I wanted to ask about. As I was setting my rear oil seal, I noticed the spring on the seal popped out of place on one side of the seal after I had installed the seal (likely from me hitting the installation tool too hard). I was able to shove the spring back in the crevice and did everything I could to make sure it was back in there properly, but i cannot be certain that the spring is back where it should be on the seal. Would it be best to just get a new seal from the local parts store or am I probably fine to use the seal I just installed?

You already spent a lot of time, effort and money on the rebuild which you don't want to perform again so another seal would normally be the best option.

That said there are many guys on the forum that don't use seals in the rear axle which allows the bearings to be bathed in gear oil. In that case the bearings are greased before installation but then the gear oil washes the grease out as time goes on.

The other point to make is aftermarket seals, front and rear axles, are inferior/shorter life to OEM Toyota seals. For the few extra dollars if any, it is best to use the Toyota seals or seals sold by reputable vendors like Cruiser Outfitters.

You already spent a lot of time, effort and money on the rebuild which you don't want to perform again so another seal would normally be the best option.

That said there are many guys on the forum that don't use seals in the rear axle which allows the bearings to be bathed in gear oil. In that case the bearings are greased before installation but then the gear oil washes the grease out as time goes on.

The other point to make is aftermarket seals, front and rear axles, are inferior/shorter life to OEM Toyota seals. For the few extra dollars if any, it is best to use the Toyota seals or seals sold by reputable vendors like Cruiser Outfitters.
Thanks for the response. You make some good points. i got the rebuild kits from Cruiser Outfitters so I might as well get the seal from them so all the seals have the same life span.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom