Question re: Inspecting/Transporting 67 FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

Plan on acquiring my uncle's 67 FJ45 (edit: build date is 1965) LWB Cruiser he purchased new. From what I understand, the original engine is out and has been replaced with a period correct F motor. He still has the original engine but it needs rebuild. Truck is NOT running and has been in the elements (not covered) for 30+ years in the high desert of the western US.

Anything in particular to look for? I will check the frame and body for rust, etc. Anything else?

This will be the first time I have hauled a vehicle on a trailer. It will be an 800 mile trip. Would appreciate any suggestions regarding trailer length (along with the truck - an extra engine, front fenders off), hauling tips, and in general things I should consider to make this transport a smooth one. Will have room in my pickup bed to also haul stuff (short bed pickup, not a lot of room however).

Last edited:
Why don't I save you the trip and we can keep it on the western us! :grinpimp:
A 16' tandem trailer with brakes on it should be just fine. If your truck is just a half ton, well just be cautious how much weight you put on the ass end. 3/4 ton would be better especially with the added cargo in the bed. Watch the weather where you are heading and speed kills!

What type SWB pickup do you have? What size engine? I've always rented the uhaul trailers. Use the chains connected to the trailer and wrapped them around the axles then secure it. Use the front ratchet straps to go over front tires, and ratchet both tight. Go slow and just be carful.

Oooorrr, sell the 45 to me and call it a day.

Pickup is an 08 Tundra, 4x4, 5.7, Crewmax with 5.5ft bed or so

That's more than enough truck, can't stress how well truck is strapped down, strap axles, not to frame. I always pull over after 20 miles to recheck straps and always check at gas stops. Let's see some pictures and you have a project ahead of you.

IMG_2927.JPG
Just did an 800 mile trip!

Make sure you have enough tongue weight on the trailer. Dont ask me why but thats my to cents. pics of the truck:steer:

I've pulled two 40s (not at same time) and an 80 on a uhaul trailer. The 80 was with a Tundra 5.7L crew cab. Tundra wasn't phased at all. I'd advise to buy your own ratchet straps to secure the 45. I don't trust the uhaul straps. I still use them and the safety chain, but what I'm truly depending on is my own straps.

Dunno about 45's but I've seen pics of fj40's that lost the roof during transport due to delamination of the roof. Be sure the roof, and the hood, are tight. Or tighten it to be sure.

Appreciate the ideas/advice. Heading out this next weekend to do the deal. Weather forecast looks pretty good from my location in CO to the vehicle location :censor: West. But you never know driving the Rocky Mtn passes so will plan for the worst, take 'er slow, and check the tie downs often. Hopefully this time next week, the 45 will be parked in my garage.

P2200161, san.jpg
2.5 days, 1481 miles later, my FJ45LPB is home. Already got a name too, "Buddy," in honor of my Uncle who purchased the truck in 1967 from the local Ford dealership (it was assembled Jan/Feb 1965). More to come ... but for now thanks to all for the advice.

Pic is heading East today, just before the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel on Interstate 70, Colorado. Just North of 11,000ft in altitude and a few hours from home. (the fenders, grill, hoods, etc are in the beds of the trucks.)

Last edited:
View attachment 1406310 2.5 days, 1481 miles later, my FJ45LPB is home. Already got a name too, "Buddy," in honor of my Uncle who purchased the truck in 1967 from the local Ford dealership (it was assembled Jan/Feb 1965). More to come ... but for now thanks to all for the advice.

Pic is heading East today, just before the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel on Interstate 70, Colorado. Just North of 11,000ft in altitude and few hours from home. (the fenders, grill, hoods, etc are in the beds of the trucks.)

Wow, congrats! I love the original paint, ole Buddy is handsome! Did you get any old family photos of your Uncle and the truck?

Thx! I feel very, very fortunate to own this rig.

Good question. I will see if his grandchildren have some pics. They might. I do not have any photos. My Uncle was one of a kind. He and his wife, unfortunately, passed many years ago. When I have more time I will start a new post, beginning with the background/history (when I became aware of it) of this truck, transporting it, and sometime in the future ... documenting the restoration. Below are a few more pics. The WP on the license plate is for the County in which Ely is located, White Pine. The last photo is not far from his ranch. Amazing country.

P2190090.jpg
P2190096.jpg
P2190098.jpg
P2190101.jpg
P2190128.jpg

Last edited:
Just AWESOME!! That thing has a perfect patina to it, true survivor. You'd be amazed how well that old paint will clean-up with some CLR and polishing compound. Check out my thread here to see how it can be brought back Barn Find 1965 FJ45LPB

Looking forward to following your build thread :beer:

What a score! Congrats!

ClemsonCruiser, Tancruiser,

Thanks for the reference post and offer of parts. I8MUD is a great resource with great people. I am starting a new post that will be where I provide updates, etc going forward. Title has, "Buddy" in it. Thx again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom