Question re: Importing to USA 98 LC Prado (LHD, manual &Petrol) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi from Pakistan,
You may recall that I am a yank working in Pakistan who got a sweet 91 LJ78 here earlier this year. One of the girls I work with has a 98 LC Prado that she bought in Azerbajan (LHD, manual, petrol) with 50K KM. I was debating trading her my LJ78 and some $$ to get her ride and take it with me to my next post. Problem is that I will be in the US for 4 mos. prior to my next assignment and would need to ship it to the US and drive it to central america.

Is it worth trying to import it to the US for future use in Central America. I should say that I love this truck and it is exactly what I was looking for...

Any thoughts/ideas most gratefully recieved.

Regards,
DS

I would look into a temporary import arangement, don't know if they allow that. If it had out of country tags, then maybe the customs would let you have it as long as you can prove to them that you are leaving the States with it in the time period you described. If you can't convince customs you are going to take it back out of the country with you, then it would have to be shiped back out of the country or destroyed. Otherwise it would be much easier I think to have it shiped to the country you are going to direct.

You CAN bring it into the states temporarily and you CAN bring it into all Central American countries temporarily. You may want to check with the regulations of the country that you will be in in Central America and see what their import regulations are. Generally it is much less restrictive than the states. Just don't leave the Pakistani plates behind 'cause you'll need them till you are registered elsewhere.

Would my diplomatic status help out on this???

Forgot to mention, not sure if it helps, but I'm a diplomat and will only need to have the car in the US (Washington DC) for 4 mos before driving it to Nicaragua.

Anyone who has done this before, please let me know.

Thanks!
DS

Not sure what time limit you have but folks from Europe and here in Guatemala drive in the states with Guatemalan or European registration.
What are Nicaragua's regulations on importation by diplomats? I'd assume relatively lax but worth asking.

Delta Sierra said:
Forgot to mention, not sure if it helps, but I'm a diplomat and will only need to have the car in the US (Washington DC) for 4 mos before driving it to Nicaragua.

Anyone who has done this before, please let me know.

Thanks!
DS

This should not be a problem, you can bring it in for up to 1 year temporarily. You must have proof of leaving or distroying the truck within that 1 year. I would suggest talking to a registered importer in the DC area they can help you and give you the options. Since is it a 1991 that would be simular to the prodo that is in the country today (Lexus GX470) so they should be able to get it to pass Fed safety, not sure on emmision and that is only if it was going to stay here. Good Luck.

Michael

i believe the only restrictions on temporary imports are that it has to be for personal use and it is only for one year and that you cannot sell the vehicle it has to be re-exported when the year is up.

1. i think everyone else has answered your question as to if it can be done.

2. why would you want to do it? the prado is a close cousin to the 3rd gen 4runners here in the states. come home and get a runner - 98 with a manual is available and pretty cheap. also, why ship a LHD prado from half way across the world when prado's are already available in central america?

bamachem said:
1. i think everyone else has answered your question as to if it can be done.

2. why would you want to do it? the prado is a close cousin to the 3rd gen 4runners here in the states. come home and get a runner - 98 with a manual is available and pretty cheap. also, why ship a LHD prado from half way across the world when prado's are already available in central america?

The reason to bring it here to Central America rather than buy one here is that he MAY know the service history. Here in Central America the mechanics are, for the most part, pretty poor. They can fix things but don't expect the repairs to be too good.

Case in point, I had new tires installed on my BJ60 (Canadian resgistered) and then took it to Sears here in Guatemala City because most tire shops don't have the ability to balance tires. I got the truck back and one chrome hub ornament was mounted BEHIND the wheel!! That's by a shop that I would expect to have technicians that at least know that hub ornaments go on AFTER the wheel not before!

The other reason is, while a Prado is similar to a 4Runner it's not the same and a 4Runner is a highly desired, and often stolen, vehicle here due to the numbers of them on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom