question re: Adding Carb cooler to my 77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all, I’m adding a carb cooler to my 77. It wasn’t born with one so I am trying to replicate the stock setup as much as I can. I’m trying to figure out where this little computer mounts up? I assume in the cab, and have searched a bunch with no real answers… thanks in advance.

47287D26-9313-475F-BA01-18C7DFD84EA4.jpeg

That bracket looks like it’s for a relay with horizontal ears — I’ll look there and see if I have a bracket.

i got the relays, fan & all wiring together from a member. so I tacked the fan mounting bracket onto the vent at the cowl. will be relocating my wiper bottle, adding the relay and fuse to the cab firewall below the heat duct ( more or less as shown above ) and then running wires through the firewall by the heater hoses. so the wiring not really close to stock locations but the rest is generally there…. next part of the project will be to update the coolant/wiper bottles to the style from the later trucks.

step two: move crap out of the way like washer bottle, apron, fender & wheel to make enough room to weld bracket onto my cowl & not stress the burn through marks as my cruiser is a patina rainbow colored jalopy.

AA616E68-EE7F-40CD-8D8C-C2067A9F0E3A.jpeg
613CDFC2-3346-4087-A6DC-76876B5F534E.jpeg

Step three: mount carb fan into position. And thread heat sensor into bracket at manifold.
82B51F8A-F2C6-40B3-8E14-84518BC21596.jpeg

Last edited:
Step Four: with mudders input, locate suitable spot for relays near heat vent on passenger side. Run most of the wires through that spot in firewall.

98D15D4E-2A77-45EA-8A55-B2F95899EDDF.jpeg

Step five will be to route the wires accordingly, grounds, hots and key-on hots.

And last step for me will be to relocate washer bottle to passenger side. so i have the later style overflow washer combo to go in.

then run power to pump and extend washer tubes and….. voila! I hope it all works —- hahah

7E3D3648-C7E2-4C9E-8CEC-CF6AB9E7EFD8.jpeg

Last edited:
You'll like the carb fan once you get it done. It made a huge difference on the warm starts in my '79. I didn't want to pay for an expensive FJ40 carb fan, so I used one from an FJ60 ($25 on Ebay) that only required a minor change to the mounting flange on the motor. Looks original and I added the red sticker that belongs on the fan motor. The fan motor was missing when I got the truck, but the wiring was still there. To get it running, I had to replace the blown fuse, replace the little can type relay, make the adapter to hold the snap switch to the intake manifold, buy the snap switch, and repair the broken circuit board traces in the control module. It works great and I love hearing it cycle on and off after I park the truck. It usually is finished within about 15 minutes,

Looks like the OEM on my 78.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom