Question on stereo swap for a 1997 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently baselining my 1997 rig...but my DD is a 2011 Toyota Avalon. I absolutely LOVE the stereo in it (JBL). I'm assuming it's double DIN as it has the LCD touch screen and drop away face for the six disc CD changer.

If I yanked one out of another Avalon from a junk yard, would it fit into my Cruiser?

Again, I'm assuming YES, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Is this what we're talking about? TOYOTA AVALON 11 12 JBL NAVIGATION GPS RADIO CD PLAYER SCREEN OEM 86120-07150 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/134079163807

s-l1600.jpg

While the screen and unit itself appear double-din sized, all of the control buttons are outside of that, so you'd be in for some major custom work to make it work. Or, can everything be controlled on the touchscreen itself, and the physical buttons are a duplicate interface option?

Just buy an aftermarket double din and install it. Why would you even want to install a used 11 year old oem stereo?

Is this what we're talking about? TOYOTA AVALON 11 12 JBL NAVIGATION GPS RADIO CD PLAYER SCREEN OEM 86120-07150 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/134079163807

s-l1600.jpg

While the screen and unit itself appear double-din sized, all of the control buttons are outside of that, so you'd be in for some major custom work to make it work. Or, can everything be controlled on the touchscreen itself, and the physical buttons are a duplicate interface option?
That's the exact one in my Avalon, yes.

I figured I could pull out the unit and leave everything else, maybe? I was kind of hoping the entire thing wasn't ONE PIECE but it definitely looks like it...damn.

To answer your question, everything except volume can be controlled via touchscreen.

Just buy an aftermarket double din and install it. Why would you even want to install a used 11 year old oem stereo?
Because it's a 600 watt JBL Premium bluetooth sound system with 8 inch subwoofer (stock) and camera, which should be MORE than enough for my Cruiser. I have a yard near me that has three Avalons of this same year waiting to be picked apart and all of them have the sound systems in them.

There is not a lot of room in the dash. The face plate is probably the right size but I would be worried about the depth if it has a built in changer.
Ok...and yes, it has a deep six disc capacity behind the screen...the screen drops down.

Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom