Question on Manafre "KS Bearings" for Upcoming Knuckle Rebuild - 1997 FzJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to pull the trigger on the full knuckle rebuild kit and I was going to go with @cruiseroutfit ($210 w/ Koyo bearings) but I also see the Manafre site has the kit for $92 but with "KS Bearings" - on one line the site says "Bearings made in India" and then a little ways down it notes "Japanese bearings" so I'm a bit confused.

Screen shot added with highlighted notations...

And I'm not trying to create drama...I'm just sitting here, scratching my head wondering.

Question:

What are "KS Bearings" and are they any good?

I'm 90% leaning towards Cruiser Outfitters because 1: OEM and 2: it seems like there's zero problems through Cruiser Outfitters and the kit itself; I'd rather pay more and have the right (and good/known) parts than have to do the job again in a coupled of years.

Can anyone explain the difference between listed "KS Bearings" & "Koyo" which are OEM?

1670624197783.png

Koyo is 100% OEM, made in Japan
KS is aftermarket, made in India. Never used by Toyota. Not my first (Japan) or second (US) choice for source of bearings ;)

Apples and oranges. Our $210 kit includes Koyo (again Japanese made, OEM). The $92.67 kit your quoting from them all India parts. Their India seal/gasket kit with Japanese wheel bearings is $234.74. Not any value considering ours is less, and Japanese :cool:

It would appear their entire kit is an India made kit. Quality on the seals/gaskets are decent, not fair to compare to Japanese parts from OE suppliers (NOK) which are in our all Japanese kits.

Should you be comfortable with the India parts and bearings, we actually have some here we ordered to inspect. Not something we retail but I'd love to find a home for them. Free shipping :D

KS is aftermarket, made in India. Never used by Toyota. Not my first (Japan) or second (US) choice for source of bearings ;)

Apples and oranges. Our $210 kit includes Koyo (again Japanese made, OEM). The $92.67 kit your quoting from them all India parts. Their India seal/gasket kit with Japanese wheel bearings is $234.74. Not any value considering ours is less, and Japanese :cool:

It would appear their entire kit is an India made kit. Quality on the seals/gaskets are decent, not fair to compare to Japanese parts from OE suppliers (NOK) which are in our all Japanese kits.

Should you be comfortable with the India parts and bearings, we actually have some here we ordered to inspect. Not something we retail but I'd love to find a home for them. Free shipping :D
Hey, thanks for replying, and I appreciate the insight and offer.

I'll pull the trigger on the full rebuild kit from your site. Nothing against Manfre...I just prefer OEM on something like this, which is what I was leaning towards but wanted to know for sure...you know?

Thanks!

Timken were also OEM, FWIW

I read that on the site...it's $5 more for the Japanese bearings...will more than likely go that route 👍 :cool:

True, as are several other bearings brands around a Land Cruiser. He was asking about Koyo vs KS so I stuck to those :D

My thoughts on Timken vs Koyo

1670629707127.png

True, as our several other brands of bearings around a Land Cruiser. He was asking about Koyo vs KS so I stuck to those :D

My thoughts on Timken vs Koyo

View attachment 3189354

And Koyo now owns the Timken roller/needle bearing business.

They bought that division a number of years ago now to better position their supply base in the US for Toyota’s expanding manufacturing operations as well as service parts support.

I just got done doing this. Ordered the @cruiseroutfit kit from cruiserteq. Great kit! Takes all the guess work out of it. Not sure my knuckles had been touched in quite some time... if ever 297k on the clock. It was a soupy mess in there.

Also ordered the offset axle seal driver from @NLXTACY. While your ordering grab a knuckle breakdown diagram as well. Makes the process alot faster if you have question when reassembling. The torque values are my favorite part !

And Koyo now owns the Timken roller/needle bearing business.

They bought that division a number of years ago now to better position their supply base in the US for Toyota’s expanding manufacturing operations as well as service parts support.
I thought Koyo only bought the old Torrington needle bearing business. AFAIK, and from what I could find the in quarterly reports, Timken still owns the roller bearing business unit.

We still buy Timken (USA) tapered bearings and Koyo (Japan) roller bearings, definitely a different bearing manufacturer and appearance but can't say who ultimately owns either. However buy certain Timken cylinder roller bearings and it's a Koyo in the Timken box 😀

Yep, just do the @cruiseroutfit kit. It's correct. Add on the @NLXTACY wits end driver, and you're good for many years. I'd be happy with either bearing choice, but went koyo.
I'll take a look at that driver you mentioned.
I'm also putting an order in for the the "555" tie rod pack from @cruiseroutfit and two knuckle stud sets from @NLXTACY in the next couple of weeks 👍 :wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom