Question on 91 tranny..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked at a 91 today that is in perfect condition. It sort of had a funny tranny problem though. It would sort of stick in 3rd gear and then when it would shift into D I would get a short rpm spike. Only 1000 or so rpm, but it was weird. The owner stated it always had done that but it was not slipping. It didnt seem to be sticking... Any ideas?

TIA,
BC

Sounds like the shift points are off. Mine did a similar thing when I got it and I couldn't shift into passing gear while driving. I adjusted the throttle cable and shift linkage and the problem vanished. Factory service manual covers the procedure.

I have heard from other people that same happening. Refer to the FSM to fix if you end up buying the rig.

Mine did the same thing when I first got it. Its a simple cable adjustment...kick down cable for me. Even following the FSM its mostly trial and error as far as getting it 'just right' is concerned IMO. Mark the top of the adjusting nut with a bit of white-out or touch up paint so that you can keep track of the number of turns in either direction so that you can experiment with which setting works best.

confirming what others have stated your kick down cable needs adjusting, it is the cable adjustment next to the throttle cable (kick down cable is the one closer to the fire wall) a little tweeking with it and you'll notice a big difference, first fix that I did on my cruiser and super x2 easy even for a noob like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom