Question on 73 Landcruiser: trying to figure out if I should sell as is or have it restored. Anyone have a ballpark figure of what all it will take ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
D722F9A6-7CF0-41DC-926B-F07D9C8C2518.jpeg

63725B82-BECA-4413-873D-24DC6374E24F.jpeg

FDF23A6A-D143-4CEB-8EC6-36D22E8EBF1E.jpeg

74C75E63-34F7-46F4-9D98-DCA6F40B4D24.jpeg

9582FF4E-D0EE-4773-B2A0-6B4F39B05390.jpeg

You can sell it to me!! :steer:
I would never dream of selling a land cruiser; unless I owned several and they never got driven. The vehicle looks really nice and a bit of polish on the paint will help bring its color back to life.

I say you keep it and fix what's needed to keep it drivable. There are people who tear down into their land cruisers for a "rebuild" and it unfortunately looses passion after a few months. A couple years later and they're still not enjoying the ride as it sits across the floor in parts over at a shop. Not saying it'll happen but know that a "full rebuild/retore" will cost a lot of time and money.

Only way I see it plausible for one to endure this journey is if you want to sell it at an auction; otherwise, make it drivable, replace what's needed, tune-up, drive and enjoy

You can sell it to me!! :steer:
I would never dream of selling a land cruiser; unless I owned several and they never got driven. The vehicle looks really nice and a bit of polish on the paint will help bring its color back to life.

I say you keep it and fix what's needed to keep it drivable. There are people who tear down into their land cruisers for a "rebuild" and it unfortunately looses passion after a few months. A couple years later and they're still not enjoying the ride as it sits across the floor in parts over at a shop. Not saying it'll happen but know that a "full rebuild/retore" will cost a lot of time and money.

Only way I see it plausible for one to endure this journey is if you want to sell it at an auction; otherwise, make it drivable, replace what's needed, tune-up, drive and enjoy
Thanks !! What would you say it’s worth right now if it’s running and driveable?

If its in orginal condition, such as the motor and drive train, I'd say 15k would be something I would be willing to pay; but that's just me.. The fj45 pickup is the more "rare" land cruiser to be found in the United States, so the price for one of these would probably get you a few extra grand. I'm thinking maybe 17k-18k depending on the buyer. Not sure how severe the "rust" is on the vehicle, hopefully the worst is what you had photograph in your first post. If its an all around solid vehicle, I don't think you'd have much trouble selling it for that price. Set your price and if no one bites, then maybe it's too much.

Often times I see listings for fj40s going for a high price that I think are just absurd. If they actually sell for the high price someone is asking, who knows. I know a guy in my area who was/is selling an Fj40 with crushed front fenders, messed up roof, rust in the rear, and I think a couple of holes in the front tub and he was saying he was thinking of selling it for 16k. Either he's a genius at marketing or whoever is thinking of buying it doesn't mind buying something half broken.

Your cruiser compared to the one I saw is in awesome shape. Some people might think that I'm under selling your vehicle for too cheap, but, to me, that's a fair price.

You can post more questions in the Fj40 section and the people over in the FJ45 section will go bonkers over it. You probably haven't gotten too many replies here since it's often a section of the forum not really looked at.

Good luck with what you decide to do with the Toyota and thanks for sharing the pics:cheers:

Edit: just realized that the front of the vehicle says "diesel " on it. Often times that tends to get a bit more attention for a collector/cruiser enthusiasts since the diesel trucks are what was only sold outside of the U. S. Some might approach it with more caution since a lot of people have been burned with bad imports of the land cruiser due to hard and heavy use in remote areas or from whomever they bought it from did a half job on patching up imperfections to flip the vehicle for a profit to sell to someone in the US market. On the other hand, some people got lucky and know that the diesel engine cruiser is the O.G. and is still widely used in tough terrains. Again, it's definitely badass.

Last edited:
If its in orginal condition, such as the motor and drive train, I'd say 15k would be something I would be willing to pay; but that's just me.. The fj45 pickup is the more "rare" land cruiser to be found in the United States, so the price for one of these would probably get you a few extra grand. I'm thinking maybe 17k-18k depending on the buyer. Not sure how severe the "rust" is on the vehicle, hopefully the worst is what you had photograph in your first post. If its an all around solid vehicle, I don't think you'd have much trouble selling it for that price. Set your price and if no one bites, then maybe it's too much.

Often times I see listings for fj40s going for a high price that I think are just absurd. If they actually sell for the high price someone is asking, who knows. I know a guy in my area who was/is selling an Fj40 with crushed front fenders, messed up roof, rust in the rear, and I think a couple of holes in the front tub and he was saying he was thinking of selling it for 16k. Either he's a genius at marketing or whoever is thinking of buying it doesn't mind buying something half broken.

Your cruiser compared to the one I saw is in awesome shape. Some people might think that I'm under selling your vehicle for too cheap, but, to me, that's a fair price.

You can post more questions in the Fj40 section and the people over in the FJ45 section will go bonkers over it. You probably haven't gotten too many replies here since it's often a section of the forum not really looked at.

Good luck with what you decide to do with the Toyota and thanks for sharing the pics:cheers:

Edit: just realized that the front of the vehicle says "diesel " on it. Often times that tends to get a bit more attention for a collector/cruiser enthusiasts since the diesel trucks are what was only sold outside of the U. S. Some might approach it with more caution since a lot of people have been burned with bad imports of the land cruiser due to hard and heavy use in remote areas or from whomever they bought it from did a half job on patching up imperfections to flip the vehicle for a profit to sell to someone in the US market. On the other hand, some people got lucky and know that the diesel engine cruiser is the O.G. and is still widely used in tough terrains. Again, it's definitely badass.
Thanks for your help !

What is the country of origin/does it have a heater? Right-hand-drive right? Clear title? Emissions-exempt region/model year? Disc brakes up front, 'split-rims,' looks like some body filler. More specs are needed to answer your question.

Nice truck! Welcome to Mud.

My perennial advice is, don't sell. But, because it has already been imported, and, there is no domestic equivalent, it would be worth quite a bit more to a buyer. I think that it is sound advice not to disclose what I think it is worth, both for the buyer and the seller.

A restored 45 just went for 100k at Barrett. Just saying. Same color, same year.

what was wrong with this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom