question on 4X4 Labs Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
  • Has any one built one with only 1 swing out for the tire carrier?
  • How does cutting the rear cross member affect the structure of the frame?
  • How long woudl it take a professional welder/ bumper guy to build the basic kit?
  • Can the tire carrier be added later down the road?
    Also, I noticed that the tire carrier tilts the tire towards the rear of the truck... Any reason for this? Is it possible to have it setup so that the tire is perfectly vertical.. like the Slee carrier?

Last edited:
1-yes, I think there was one recently built that way. It was a guy who got one for his birthday. I can't remember his username.
2-IMHO, the labs bumper seems more stout than the stock cross member.
3-I know one recent member built one in about 20 hrs or so. Maybe less depending on how much finish work you want to do. Look at Akarilo's thread.
4-Yes

I just ordered an assembled/finished/coated dual swingout with a tire carrier today. $500 extra doesn't seem like a bad price to have Luke weld/finish/powdercoat. Most places I have seen charge about $250 just for the powder coat. If I had a lot of free time, a garage, and a decent welder, I would have considered doing it myself.

my welder is saying it would take him 3 hours to build the kit.. When I asked Luke, he said a good welder can do the basic kit in 2-3 hours.... thoughts?

Also, I noticed that the tire carrier tilts the tire towards the rear of the truck... Any reason for this? Is it possible to have it setup so that the tire is perfectly vertical.. like the Slee carrier?

I like mine tilted; it's parallel to the rear window, and looks "correct" IMO.

my welder is saying it would take him 3 hours to build the kit.. When I asked Luke, he said a good welder can do the basic kit in 2-3 hours.... thoughts?

You will be happy with Luke's welds; if you're paying some one to do it, might as well be Luke.

You will be happy with Luke's welds; if you're paying some one to do it, might as well be Luke.

X2 Unless you are going to do it yourself, I didn't see it being very cost effective. Might as well have Luke do it and know for sure it will be done right. The basic bumper doesn't seem too difficult, but getting the spindles/latches/gas struts to line up seems like it would take some time. Not to mention all of the finish work.

Do you have to cut the truck bumper and weld it on or is it bolt on like Slee's once it's welded up?

Love the look and function of the bumper - and the quality seems awesome - but I don't have a welder or the fab skills to weld it on.

I guess I could find someone local to do it...

Do you have to cut the truck bumper and weld it on or is it bolt on like Slee's once it's welded up?

Love the look and function of the bumper - and the quality seems awesome - but I don't have a welder or the fab skills to weld it on.

I guess I could find someone local to do it...

It bolts on just like any other bumper, but you do cut off the rear cross member of the truck. You can buy the bumpers assembled, so no need to find a local welder.

On the older 4x4 labs bumpers, the tire is vertical. I'm sure he can build it anyway you would like. The bumper bolts on, and IMO increases the the structural integrity of the frame.
tire.jpg

Nice pic!!!
Is there any benefit to putting the tire carrier on a certain side of the rig?

I like to offset the weight of the driver since I'm usually alone in my truck, but I'm sure everybody has a different preference. Mine came with the truck and thats just how it was set up.

I like to offset the weight of the driver since I'm usually alone in my truck, but I'm sure everybody has a different preference. Mine came with the truck and thats just how it was set up.

x2, Like in your paint thread and the question was asked about it. I like your setup and the spare being on that side :)

Is there any benefit to putting the tire carrier on a certain side of the rig?

I like the pivot opposite the curb side, so when parked/stopped alongside the road, with the carrier arm swung open to access the rear cargo, you don't have to walk around the arm to load/unload stuff from the back to the side of the road.

Yeah, walking around while loading up along the curb is one good reason to have it on the DS. Plus when it is on the PS it tends to create another blind spot when checking over your shoulder changing lanes or backing up.
But a down side to it being on the DS is that (IS MY :princess: listening?) when at a stop light it will block you from seeing the hottie in the car behind you. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom