Question, Kilometers or miles fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Looking for an fJ60. Saw one at a local used car lot. It was a 1985 U.S. sold cruiser. Looked at odometer and it stated 465,000K, I exclaimed this was quite a lot of miles and if it had an engine rebuild and transmission. Sales person replied they are in kilometers and not miles. This doesn't sound right to me, why would a regular left hand drive U.S. sold cruiser be in Kilometers? He also said it had a rebuild but did not have paperwork to back this up, go figure.

Any ideas? Thank you, Mike

maybe its a canadian truck. you should look at the speedometer and see for yourself if you are unsure.

used car lot? just go low ball the guy, and if he doesnt bite, look for another truck, good deals come around pretty often

what is on the outside of the speed is what the km/mileage is gonna be:

i.e: this is a canadian cluster(from 24v j60)
kms on the outside, km'd odo
also notice how it says km/h, if it was miles it would say mi/h???
IMG_3652.jpg

honestly dude, i dont know how you want someone to help if you got no pictures, and if you cant believe the sales guy about the rebuild, i understand you... how do you know its a us sold 60? if you really knew if it was sold in the us then you would know the if its km or mi

your probably gonna get a better deal off a private sale.

get a buddy that knows something about vehicles to come check it out with you.

good luck with the cruiser hunt.

Last edited:
By the way, if it is miles instead of kilometers (accent on the "i", not on the "o"!!!:bang::D) , and it's not indicated, I don't think the speedometer says "180".

Thank you guys, my guts were telling one thing, needed the confirmation and appreciate the details. I'm new to cruisers and have a lot to learn. Just don't want to be burned. I see a fair amount of fraud on e-bay and craigslist not to mention what a used car salesman would tell me. Again,Thank you

i.e: this is a canadian cluster(from 24v j60)
kms on the outside, km'd odo
also notice how it says km/h, if it was miles it would say mi/h???
IMG_3652.jpg
Canadian market have both KM/H and MPH (Yellow in this picture). I'm pretty sure an american car will have a MPH and KM/H in smaller on the gauge.

If it was coming from another part of the world, you'll only get the KM/H

The dealer sounds like he was just BS-ing you. I'd look for another cruiser regardless of the mileage, just to avoid giving my money to a d-bag. But yes, normal cruisers sold in the USA count miles, not kilometers. As pictured above, if the bottom of the speedometer says "MPH" then it's miles, if it says "Km/H" then it's probably an imported truck and it's counting km.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom