Question: impact of rear leave toe-in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the PO had some aftermarket rear shackle hangers installed. I noticed that the PS leafs want to migrate inward…. Then I noticed it looks like the PS hanger may have been installed apx 1/4-1/2 further outside than the stock hanger location. I assume the leafs are king like when one ski is pointed inward and the other is straight.

Do you think something like this could contribute to a wobble to the point of feeling it in the steering wheel?

Been trying to eliminate a very long list of wobble contributeurs, but never though about how the rear might effect things.

Wanted the mud brain-trust to weigh in if it’s be worth the effort to true up the precision of my rearmost angles, or if in general this should be low on the priority list?

Any guidance is appreciated.

BFF24DC4-E107-4466-AC72-D85E65FAA0D6.jpeg

it most likely has little effect on the axle location.
however the bushings are not happy, and ride quality is probably being negatively effected.
i would remove both hangers, source oem and replace.

Last edited:
looks like several issues need addressed:
short leaf spring?
lower leafs are cut? add a leaf?
shackle hanger is moved forward a few inches and homemade
hanger is welded to a subframe? you can see where the original was located, part of it is still there
hard brake lines don't look well secured
bushing shoulders are gone
wonder about the bolts

Last edited:
Axle location is set by the center pins in the springs. With the front spring position still in the original location there should be little if any change in the axle location. As pointed out above, the mounting location of the rear spring hanger needs to be corrected.

It doesn’t look like that spring “hanger” is well engineered, welded or long for this world. It would be best to cut it off, fabricate a new one and weld it in the proper location.

Can’t remember for sure, but I think @Drake2 had a set of used hangers for sale in the classifieds. Not sure if they still do, but Cruiser Solutions in NH used to offer an exact replica replacement hanger assembly.

Can’t remember for sure, but I think @Drake2 had a set of used hangers for sale in the classifieds. Not sure if they still do, but Cruiser Solutions in NH used to offer an exact replica replacement hanger assembly.
Thanks Mark, I do have a few sets on the shelf. Not new, but taken off frames before they were scrapped. I think they also have the triangle support plates still there as well. @joyRidaz , your rig would be happy to have some straight and correct OEM units back on there ;)

As other have said you need to address your rear spring issues. It most likely Is not causing a wobble in the frt end. You probably have worn or loose frt end components or possibly the tires are out of balance or bad.

how about a pic from the side? it is hard to tell from the pic where the leaf spring eye is located in relation to the fixed mount.
if it is too far forward, the leaf spring is too short and needs to be changed to get proper shackle angle

what does the other side look like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom