Question- how do you tell is steering column has been crumpled? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Deep down in the rabbit hole....I've sent my steering gear to Red Head, am replacing my spider joint, but a while back a shop told me that they thought my column had crumpled because the key was too close to the dash. While I am here (hahaha) I thought its time to look. Unfortunately, I am not sure what I am looking for. I don't see any external damage. I know that the truck had been in an accident and that there is a little damage to the foot well on the driver's side, but not sure what I am looking for. Thoughts? Advise?

yeah steering column has been crumpled but entire front of cruiser looks original. Ok
Didn't say that. It has been in a accident, was put back together. The driver's foot well has been pushed in an inch or so in one spot. New frame. I meant no visible external damage to the column. Sorry. So yes, its been damaged. Most of it fixed, but not sure how deep they went. Several owners later....

Hey Rich-

If the frame was bent, I imagine damage would be seen in the shaft or yoke coming out of the firewall (engine side), or on the two mounting studs up under the dash that the column bolts to. If you drop the column does any of the existing dash framework look bent? Four threaded holes that the firewall plate of the column bolts into look okay, not smoooshed inwards?

Hey Rich-

If the frame was bent, I imagine damage would be seen in the shaft or yoke coming out of the firewall (engine side), or on the two mounting studs up under the dash that the column bolts to. If you drop the column does any of the existing dash framework look bent? Four threaded holes that the firewall plate of the column bolts into look okay, not smoooshed inwards?
Well... I replaced the metal lower dash frame when i redid the AC and Heater core. It had been dented from someone's knees at least that's how it appeared. We had the column hanging there, and might have installed it too close to the dash when it went back together, but the shop did that work and we didn't unhook the linkage, so would have thought that to be a fixed position. I like the idea of looking at the column base on the firewall and seeing if there are any witness marks. I need to take some pictures, but thank you for the direction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom