Question for those with flares off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mine's a '97 HDJ 80 STD (the poverty pack:crybaby: ). From factory it has 16x7 steelies, 215/80/16 (29.5 x 8.5) and no flares.

Now I really dig the look of 285/75/16s on 16x8 alloys that you guys run (the factory setup on mine just looks weird:eek: ) but the laws here are pretty strict in terms of tires sticking out beyond the fenders ( big $$$$ if you get caught).

Question for those who got rid of their fender flares AND running 285/75/16 of stock alloys: do the tires stick out beyond the fender and if so by how much?:confused:

IOette said:
Mine's a '97 HDJ 80 STD (the poverty pack:crybaby: ). From factory it has 16x7 steelies, 215/80/16 (29.5 x 8.5) and no flares.

Now I really dig the look of 285/75/16s on 16x8 alloys that you guys run (the factory setup on mine just looks weird:eek: ) but the laws here are pretty strict in terms of tires sticking out beyond the fenders ( big $$$$ if you get caught).

Question for those who got rid of their fender flares AND running 285/75/16 of stock alloys: do the tires stick out beyond the fender and if so by how much?:confused:

big $$$$ if you get caught ? :confused:

Sackman said:
big $$$$ if you get caught ? :confused:

Sackman- big $$$$ = big fine. Whatever you're smokin, give me some. ;)

285/75R16 Goodyear MTR on stock alloys. No flares
80 tires.jpg
tirestickout.jpg

Those pics Gumby put up are pretty much what mine looked like when I had 285's on it. I'm running 315's now and they stick out just a hair more. Since your running a diesel, I'm guessing your not in the US.

Gumby and MadBaggins - thanks!:bounce:

Well, from the pics it looks like they do stick out a little :crybaby: - I'd say about 1 - 1.5 cm or about half an inch. It doesn't look too noticeable though, perhaps due to the size of the vehicle... BTW, I'm in Switzerland, where up until the mid '80s it was illegal to flush the toilets after 10pm (the neighbors would actually call the police) :D

So much for neutrality.
Sounds like the toilet nazi's did win after all:)

It's more noticeable than you might think from pictures. Put some of those jeep flares on the rig.

Assault rifles and diesel cruisers. It's not all bad.

why not get tall/skinny tires?

255/85 R16 will fit, are pretty much the same height as the 285/75 R16 and will not stick out.

granted your tire choices will be a bit more limited, but you won't have to buy flares and bolt them on.

there's a wide vs. skinny tire thread somewhere around here...

Wow, just gone through that skinny vs wide thread... Quite enlightening, if a bit academic. Problem is all 255s seem to be in M/T... Another question: are 255s too wide for 16x7 ? 25.5 cm / (7*2.54) = 1.43 - is there some sort of rule as to the ratio?

No, but that size is typically load range E. You may not want to run such a heavy tire, but it's up to you.

Goodyear AT?

IOette said:
Wow, just gone through that skinny vs wide thread... Quite enlightening, if a bit academic. Problem is all 255s seem to be in M/T... Another question: are 255s too wide for 16x7 ? 25.5 cm / (7*2.54) = 1.43 - is there some sort of rule as to the ratio?

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+AT&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=255&aspectratio=85&rimdiameter=16&sidewall=OWL

I don't know if that monster link will work. The Goodyear AT is LT255/85R16 load range D Approved Rim 6.5" to 8.0" Outside Diameter 33.1. I had a set of 31x10.5 of these on my wife's old '92 and they worked out real well. Aggressive enough for light offroading without sacrificing ride & noise.

I have 285/75R16 Goodyear MTR tires on my build truck and in many ways wish I had known about / gone with the 33" AT above. YMMV.

IOette said:
Another question: are 255s too wide for 16x7 ? 25.5 cm / (7*2.54) = 1.43 - is there some sort of rule as to the ratio?

Metric tire size- 285-75/16- 285mm is the width of the tread, the sidewall is 75% of the width of the tread or 214mm, and it's on a 16" wheel- don't get me started on why they use metric and standard measurements in the same breath. Total height of the tire is sidewall x2 plus wheel.

-Spike

Spike - I meant the ratio of the tire width to the rim width... Which in the case of a 255 and a 7 inch rim comes out to 1.43

Cruiserman - which jeep flares? OEM? I must say the prospect of drilling holes doesn't excite me that much...

Grench - the link works fine and the tire looks good! tnx!

From what I gather, a 12 inch tire on an 8 inch wheel seems to be the biggest differential considered to be OK (no scientific facts to be had, just people's experience). That's 1.5 (to 1) so 1.43 would be fine by 'the usual standard'.

-Spike

IOette said:
Cruiserman - which jeep flares? OEM? I must say the prospect of drilling holes doesn't excite me that much...

Dunno. I'm not running anything. You'll have holes in the fenders with the flares removed anyway.

cruiserman said:
Dunno. I'm not running anything. You'll have holes in the fenders with the flares removed anyway.
The poverty pack in Oz came standard with no flares:idea: so no holes. But it had barn doors :D and part time 4wd.:D :cheers:
Picswithkirk5-5-06241.jpg

Picswithkirk5-5-06190.jpg

Picswithkirk5-5-06273.jpg

Ahhh, to have such problems in life :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom