Question for those running PT Cruiser or BMW seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So the Mazda seats I've been running for years in my 62 have kept me from putting my amplifier (or really any amplifier) underneath the passenger seat due to the buckets being so deep. Even the "thinnest" 4-channel amps I'm finding would just barely squeeze underneath and would contact the seat bottom once carpet is installed. Another complaint I have is that at 6'0", the seats have me sitting high enough that the Gentex mirror I have installed is set to a high enough angle to see out the hatch, that headlights behind me don't trigger the auto dimming function. I hunch down and lower the mirror and it works great.

I was hoping someone running PT Cruiser or BMW seats could take a couple measurements for me. First the distance between the driver's seat cushion and the headliner at about where the butt sits, and the height from the floorboard to the lowest hanging part of the passenger side seat (basically where there's the least clearance as if you were to install an amp). Would be greatly appreciated!

Here you go @Spook50, these are with BMW E90 seats and Torfab early truck brackets, which require cutting off the old seat pedestals and mounting to the bare floor. There's not much clearance under there but there's a good sized cavity that a small amp may be able to fit into, at least with these brackets. With the later trucks I imagine you’ll have more room under there.

F7D5BBC0-6276-4D80-A909-5DB701F3E7AD.jpeg

D45FFCDB-4117-498A-A6F3-F20F57DC41F1.jpeg

54366882-A072-4014-9242-2F63170F9644.jpeg
DD9EFB05-5C70-4545-84FE-D968AB88180D.jpeg

Last edited:
i’m 6’2” and have lots of head room with my bmw seats and i have an amp under my drivers side front seat. another one is going under the passenger side soon. lots of room

So that's two positives for BMW seats. Issue I have with those is having to modify the floor mount points on my 62. I also just saw that there are multiple sets of PT Cruiser seats near me in the ~$100 rage that are heated and non-airbag, or non-heated non-airbag in the Seattle area, which I could have reupholstered and have heaters added (honestly the way I'd prefer if I can source reproduction gray 60 series fabric). So Can anyone running PT Cruiser seats do the same measurements so I can see if this would be a good way for me to go?

PT cruiser seats on stock rails 88’ FJ62

Passenger under seat is 3 1/2 inches

8656CC1C-D930-4DDE-9A65-C10C0CD64B17.jpeg

Driver seat from front edge to headliner is right at 33”

2FFC06AF-B92C-4DC2-BBA7-7D9FDA4E5860.jpeg

Drivers seat where seat bottom meets seat back, to headliner is 37 1/2”

EA4B72B9-A5B0-444C-B363-F08527A6D0CD.jpeg

I've got E90's with full power and heat, using Torfab brackets only. No new holes. There is one hole on the passenger seat rear that is existing, but not used with OEM seats. You will have to cut the carpet to use it.

I am 6'1", and even if I have the seat as high as it will go, I still have room over my head. I removed the left side foot rest as well. The ability to set the rake of the seat, as well as the height, is great. For me to be comfortable, and not have to tilt steering wheel getting in and out, I come nowhere near maxing out on any of the adjustments.

I got mine, delivered, for $400, from LKQ. You can see pictures online, and they will verify condition before they ship. I made sure that I got the body side pigtails on the plugs, to make wiring and install easier. One more thing, the leather is far easier to keep clean, and is more comfortable than cloth, in my opinion.

Here is a site that gives you all the wiring info you need and more. If you know the VIN of the BMW the seats came from, you can get the exact pin outs, as they vary within model years.

I've got E90's with full power and heat, using Torfab brackets only. No new holes. There is one hole on the passenger seat rear that is existing, but not used with OEM seats. You will have to cut the carpet to use it.

I am 6'1", and even if I have the seat as high as it will go, I still have room over my head. I removed the left side foot rest as well. The ability to set the rake of the seat, as well as the height, is great. For me to be comfortable, and not have to tilt steering wheel getting in and out, I come nowhere near maxing out on any of the adjustments.

I got mine, delivered, for $400, from LKQ. You can see pictures online, and they will verify condition before they ship. I made sure that I got the body side pigtails on the plugs, to make wiring and install easier. One more thing, the leather is far easier to keep clean, and is more comfortable than cloth, in my opinion.

Here is a site that gives you all the wiring info you need and more. If you know the VIN of the BMW the seats came from, you can get the exact pin outs, as they vary within model years.

Just looked up a pair of PT Cruiser seats that looked to be a really good deal on LKQ, but HOLY CRAP shipping was over twice the cost of both seats together! Yeah no thanks.

Shipping on mine from Dallas to Richmond Va was 200. They told me it would be the same from anywhere in the us.

Paid an even 100 for my PT seats and after a few years I still love them and consider them a "best mod".

Did you put the OEM Toyota rails on the Chrysler seats, or just transfer the OEM mounting tabs to the Chrysler rails?
I put the OEM Toyota rails onto the Chrysler seats. I had to drill one new hole per rail.

I put the OEM Toyota rails onto the Chrysler seats. I had to drill one new hole per rail.
Cool. That's what I'll plan on doing then. Found a pair of 2002 manual cloth seats in decent condition about two hours away, so I'm up early about to head out and get 'em. Less than $100 for the pair.

Last edited:
In BeBe I put the OEM tabs on the Chrysler rails. I have to say at just 6' tall I have only a couple increase of headroom from my PT Cruiser seats. However, my 10/85 cruiser does still have the raised front rail so I know that is a difference between the 60 and 62. However, with my Gentex mount I have it angled enough that it still gets triggers by lights behind me. Look in my build thread back to Jan 2017 timeframe (I think)

In BeBe I put the OEM tabs on the Chrysler rails. I have to say at just 6' tall I have only a couple increase of headroom from my PT Cruiser seats. However, my 10/85 cruiser does still have the raised front rail so I know that is a difference between the 60 and 62. However, with my Gentex mount I have it angled enough that it still gets triggers by lights behind me. Look in my build thread back to Jan 2017 timeframe (I think)
Okay you're the same height as me, so good to see the PT Cruiser seats don't sit you too high for proper operation of the mirror. I'm wondering if once I get my Wit's End arm the relocation of the mirror will help too. Got that and a fire extinguisher mount on the way as soon as Joey gets the mirror arms back from the powder coaters. Got an idea in mind for the PT Cruiser seats I picked up yesterday too. They were in GREAT shape too. Got lucky on them. Manual, cloth, had only been in the yard for a week or so and before the car was wrecked the owner took immaculate care of it, so what hadn't been hurt in the wreck was still in near mint condition. These are out of a 2002. I'm really glad I saved my OEM seats now. Likely once I have the PT Cruiser seats swapped in I'll sell the Mazda seats and brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom