Question for the short-bed pickup experts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bear

SILVER Star
Threads
I know little about the shorties, so have a few questions: are both the fixed-cab and the removeable-cab beds the same size, and do they mount at the same points on the frame? Are the cabs both mounted in the same spots? Do they share the same length frame, and are the shorty frames used on other models, such as FJ43, or are they unique to the short-bed pickup trucks?

Thanks.

Michael,

Both fixed top and removable share the same 104 wheelbase. (45lv is the same 104 as well) The removable top cab is about 3 Longer so the bed is 3 inches shorter than a fixed top. So the fixed cab got a longer bed to enable the same wheelbase.

Removable top cab mounts just like a LWB cab does, fixed top has different style. But not sure if the frame mount is in the same place, looks close. Red cab is a 64 Fixed top, the other is ClemsonCruisers 65 removable top.
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 3.25.26 PM.png
IMG_7185.jpg

Thank-you, gentlemen.

Okay, I see the "X" cab braces under that removable top cab that look like the ones under the long bed cabs.
Is the removable top cab then identical to the one from a long bed pickup truck?
With some fabrication, could a 104inch wheelbase frame from one of the shorties or a wagon be altered to fit one of the others?

And I'm guessing that if needed, the longer of the 2 shorty beds could be shortened to fit a removable cab truck?

Thanks very much for edumacating me !

They are the same cabs. I built an Fj45 years ago and used a removable top cab on a fixed top frame. It was a rock crawler so the wheelbase was stretched and it had a flatbed. Can’t remember now, but I think the rear mounts needed to be moved.

the beds have a different radius in the 2 front corners for removable top and no removable top.
IIRCC the removable top has the same radius as the rear corners, the non removable top has a much tighter radius almost a 90
can't remember if the spare tire is swing out only on non removable and underneath similar to a LPB on removable top????

Rear cab bed mounts on a fixed top frame need to be moved to fit a removable top cab. Which I believe was one of the questions. Beds between fixed and removable short beds are different to allow 3" of cab differences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom