Question for the dizzy gurus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cps432

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m in the process of cleaning up my dizzy and performing a recurve. A few years ago I found that oil was traveling up the shaft into the main housing. I fixed that o ring but missed the o ring on the vac advance. It’s been drawing dirt into the dizzy for years now.
AFF05017-C21A-42C2-9104-321CE8E58998.jpeg
4A2935AB-D1FF-4FAE-9087-C0F0EDC867EF.jpeg

Upon cleaning everything and inspecting it I also found that the Bakelite stop pin bushing was shattered into a thousand pieces.

Dried oil, dirt, and plastic bits were stuck in the breaker plate and had basically frozen it in place. Against my better judgement I went ahead and disassembled the breaker plate to clean it. It went swimmingly, for some reason, but I’m now wondering if there should be grease in the bearings. It spins freely but there’s a few spots where it catches and there’s some drag. Is this acceptable or should I pack some lube in there before I get everything back together?
AB484F49-CA9B-4E3C-BF8F-6D5997E3E88D.jpeg
87127DB0-8BEE-4EBB-BDC0-431DFC85969D.jpeg
702CD3EA-9845-4C85-9CD1-0A6F6B6409DA.jpeg

I also just discovered that the aluminum bushing I found to replace the Bakelite piece fits perfectly, however, as I rock the cam back and forth it walks itself up and off of the pin.
07F44A1D-F276-4F15-B9A1-8DA6117F2E14.jpeg

This is after rocking back and forth a dozen times or so...
0FE05E8D-ED67-40EC-A417-F208664CF20A.jpeg

Solutions?

I ended up installing it on the pin and then putting the springs in. After seeing how it functions under tension I doubt it will walk itself out. If it does, I’ll hit it with a hammer for you.

I also put just a little bit of grease in the bearings and sprung it around a lot to make sure it was coating everything and any excess squeezed out. Wiped it down clean and installed it. That thing only moves a few degrees with the vac advance diaphragm so it’s not like it needs a lot of lubrication. But it feels really nice and smooth all around. Man, the weights were stuck in place by all the gunk in there. It should be way happier now. I have a strong feeling this dizzy is why I was failing emissions...

Good on you for getting that breaker plate cleaned up. Mine was gunked up as well. It had some spots in it that it would get bound up. I didn't take mine apart however like you did. I hit it with some fluid film and it smoothed out mostly. Like you I reasoned it only moves a small amount so what I did would suffice. But I prolly should have really tried to clean it up while I had things apart. My advance pot was cooked and I was focused on replacing that at the time. Nice job here.

I also just discovered that the aluminum bushing I found to replace the Bakelite piece fits perfectly, however, as I rock the cam back and forth it walks itself up and off of the pin.View attachment 2798369

This is after rocking back and forth a dozen times or so...View attachment 2798370
Solutions?
The bushing I was directed to buy I actually had to drill out some because it was too tight. Bought it at Home Depot. That one in the pic I practiced on… the better one is still in the diz I recurved but my truck is running a different professionally recurved diz.

image.jpg

The bushing I was directed to buy I actually had to drill out some because it was too tight. Bought it at Home Depot. That one in the pic I practiced on… the better one is still in the diz I recurved but my truck is running a different professionally recurved diz.

View attachment 2798907
That’s the exact same bushing I used, only sourced it from Ace. I had read that I would need to drill it out a tad but it slipped right over and with a little thumb pressure popped right in. I’m wondering if the pin didn’t get worn down a bit by the weights slamming it over time. Either way, it’ll get me going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom