Question for Folks with Swing out Bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're doing a swingout bumper, a 2" hitch on the swingouts is a must IMO. That's what I had done on my Tacoma's bumper: .

But I still hold the opinion that swingouts are a pain on a daily.

This may not be an option for everyone but I just wanted to provide some feedback on the rocky mounts 8" anti-wobble hitch extender (2" receiver). I have a Dissent rear bumper and tire carrier swing arm but mountain bike frequently nearby my home. I needed a solution for my two bike 1UP rack but wanted to keep the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible.

8" is about as short as an extender you can use to clear both trays from the tire for 2 full suspension bikes. The anti-wobble feature on the hitch extender works well (similar mechanism as on the 1UP rack).

Downsides are as follows which would be remedied with a longer hitch extender (probably ~14"):
1) You can't open the swing arms without contacting the rack even in its lowest position.
2) The rack will not fold to its 90deg fully vertical position, only to its prescribed 45deg position.

These things aren't particularly a bother to me as I frequently take the rack on and off the car several times a week. I also don't need access into my hatch when I ride, so this is not a problem. This however would not work if I were doing on a long trip with my bikes.

Also, without any hitch extender, I am still able to use the rear most tray when I'm hitting the trails solo. But in this configuration the tray can only be used in its horizontal position.

20230222_140436.jpg

20230222_140641.jpg

20230222_140913.jpg

20230222_141019.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom