Question for Expedition folks - what rack are you using for your RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering what racks you are using for RTT on an 80 series?

Baja?
ARB?
Custom?

Pics would be great too if you have any.

:beer:

2x on the front runner, did a twenty day trip to guatemalA with an Eazi Awn up top w/ no problems. I weigh about 250 and can stand on the rack with no issue.

I like the looks of the cheetah but pretty $$$$.

Are there other alternatives to mounting RTT's other than having a full roof rack? IIRC the factory cross rails only support up to 75LBS.

Depending on which RRT you have or plan to get.

If using an Autohome Maggiolina or Columbus, there is now a custom flat low profile rack for these tents.
Made specifically for the 80 and FJs.

If using one ofthe flip canvas tents, you have lots of options for the 80 with your gutters.

looking at a Mombasa 1st generation.

You have an 80 with gutter mounts. Why not just run some Thule/Yakima crossbars?? I did that on my old 80 and had a first gen Mombasa mounted on them with no problems.

Front Runner with Large Camping Lab RTT. I put myself - wife and two kids up there
IMG_4590.jpg

I used crossbars from Groucho and it worked perfectly. Check the sig for links.

Nakman has really nice clamps and crossbars perfect for mounting a tent if you have gutters:

Gamiviti - roof racks and cup holders

If I'm not mistaken those are the same ones Groucho is selling.

I installed my tent this weekend using them and it holds like a champ. I went with 10 gauge just to overdo it but 14 gauge should work as well.
2010-05-03%2013.25.48.jpg

I installed my tent this weekend using them and it holds like a champ. I went with 10 gauge just to overdo it but 14 gauge should work as well.

lookin good :clap:

lookin good :clap:

Thanks. I completely underestimated the size of this thing....it's HUGE inside.

Anyone still shopping around should just call up Fernando at Camping Lab and pull the trigger on these.

Yep, those are the same. Nakman and Groucho are working together on those. :)

Baja Rack "Expedition". Comes with 4 mounts per side and the brackets to mount your tent. Here's a nice view of the top:

IMG_1642.jpg

Racks can be a spendy, and pretty much redundant piece of equipment if the RTT is going to be up there most of the time. Load bars are a great alternative if that is your only need. The Front Runner Wind Cheetah Slimline racks are incredibly stout. They offer load bars using the same slats and legs they use in the racks at a fraction of the cost. Just an FYI.

Cheers,

Lots of great info. Missed a great priced RTT on craigslist a couple weeks ago. Saving up the $$ for the next reasonably priced one! :)

I think for the price and quality you cannot beat a BajaRack. IMHO the best is INTI, but forget about finding one (unless you talk adventureduo out of his rack, now that he took it off his rig :D ) and next best thing would be a Frontrunner (we had a killer WindCheetah for a couple of months).
I have been on the road for 10 months through North and Central America and I am very happy with my BajaRack (and we got a killer deal on it)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom