Question for Canadian trailer owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are the common couplers in CA measured in mm?

Have you ever seen and couplers from Trigg for sale in Canada in person or on the Web?

If you own a Trigg brand coupler where did you buy it, and are you happy with it.

My experience has always been the same as the standard US options. 1-7/8", 2", 2-5/16" balls, pintle and lunette, 2-5/16" gooseneck... the balls may additionally be stamped with an equivalent ##mm size. :meh:
1-1/4", 2", 2-1/2" receiver tubes.

I have not heard of Trigg. Curt, Reese, Buyers, Bulldog, Hit-N-Hitch come to mind as brands I see.

Last edited:
I believe it is these Treg couplers that are being asked about: https://www.tregtrailers.com.au/shop/treg-poly-block-couplings/treg-p-b-weld-on/ For whatever reason they are not available in the US.

I've come full swing on non ball couplers and now believe that if the lunette ring is sized correctly for the pintle hitch in use that they are reasonably quiet and undoubtedly the strongest solution available. The super critical key there is that the lunette's cross-sectional OD nearly fit tight in the pintle's opening. That is how they are designed to work, but some mfg's cheap it out and make that dimension much smaller than it needs to be. Which makes them noisey.

Trigg casting is an AU manufacturer , I am currently using a Bulldog Collar loc
Getting parts for my new project, noticed some interesting cast couplers made by Trigg.

image.jpg

F8258D66-478A-4C6A-AC1E-E4DDF9A4B479.jpeg

Hum, never heard of them. Not a surprise given their normal market.

What's so special about these other than they lock onto the ball in a unique method?

Trigg is really old school. I had one on a 1965 Campomatic. Didn’t weigh much. Would trust it
off road. They wouldn’t meet legal standards of new anymore maybe, I wouldn’t think.
They are a lift, turn, couple kind of thing. It was neat. That Tregg is a completely different animal.

I've been slowly moving away from ball couplers on everything that I own. Only one of the fleet of potential tow rigs isn't 4WD. The pintle makes a better and much faster snatch strap anchor than any shackle system that I've seen. The trailers having only a lunette sure cuts down on the number asking to borrow one of them.

As a response to your first question. What you have in the USA is what we have in Canada. 1-7/8", 2" etc.
First time I every heard of Trigg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom