Question for A/C experts - aluminum hard line repair. Becoming pretty desperate. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TurboDennis

SILVER Star
Threads
So found myself in a pretty desperate situation.

TLDR: Can i join an aluminum AC line with an inverted double flare union?

I have installed the console fridge into my truck and replaced the associated A/C lines with the correct ones that i sourced from middle east.

System didnt hold vacuum for long, and i found a couple of small pinhole leaks on one of the high pressure hardlines that run along the firewall from drivers side to the passenger side.
So i removed the lines (a banana job) and tried to repair the leaks. I used the aluminum brazing rods on the holes, and then smothered the area with special epoxy designed for aluminum A/C lines (on top of brazing) for good measure.

Pressure tested the lines on the bench to 400 psi. They held. Installed. Held vacuum for an hour. So i charged the system. A week later the A/C starts blowing hot air. The repair failed..

Im determined to have the A/C working, so i sourced proper 8MM aluminum tubing (VERY difficult in Canada) and decided to make a brand new lines and attach original fittings to them. I cut the fittings off with a couple of inches of tube sticking out. Made new lines. Swaged the ends so that the stubs with the fittings would fit inside tightly. Tried to braze/epoxy these joints again. Leaked at 100-150psi on the bench.

So I made new lines again and went looking for a good TIG welder to weld the fittings on. Called/visited about 2 dozen welders and fabricators. Everyone either didn't want to take on the job because it was too small, or think they were capable of welding it properly. Only one guy has agreed to do it. He welded up the connections (old fittings with a stub to newly made line). Pressure tested on the bench. Tiny leaks at ~150psi.. The welds also melted through and reduced the I.D. of the lines significantly.

So at this point I've wasted about 50 hours of my time on this line and a few hundreds of dollars and im not any closer to having working A/C.

-New lines are no longer available from Toyota.
-Sourcing used lines is extremely difficult from middle east and i dont want to risk getting a leaky line again.
-Replacing the hard line with a flexible rubber line is not an option due to lack of space where this line runs.
- Using a specially designed A/C compression fittings to join the old line to new is also not an option for the same reason.
- TIG welding, while possible, has proven to be unreliable.

So this brings me to to my question. Is there anything wrong with putting an inverted double flare on the ends, and using a union (with 2 flare nuts) to join the lines? The union is much skinnier than the compression fitting so it shouldn't cause any interference issues. I checked and the aluminum line flares easily and flare looks great. This type of joint works great on brake lines that see up to 2000psi, so i dont see why it wouldnt hold on A/C line that will only see 200-250psi. I have done some research online and i cant find any evidence of people doing this type of repair on automotive A/C's. Is there a reason why?

Joint and the failed TIG weld:
20200708_130900.jpg

20200711_142726.jpg

Double flare on a test piece
20200711_143440.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, To me as these rigs get older there is going to be a lot of modifications. Are you sure a flexible line won’t work? If not I don’t see why what you have done won’t work. Mike

U-5U-05- 5/16" Tube Union - Stainless Steel | Tube Fittings$9.96

I connected my home conditioner with this. It was already pre-installed from factory, so I just made copper line (low/High)

IMG_20200629_175059.jpg

U-5U-05- 5/16" Tube Union - Stainless Steel | Tube Fittings$9.96
This from Titan Fittings is what you need and has been proven to work

I use Swagelok fittings all the time at work, they will hold way higher pressures than the AC system will see. I think this is the part you'd need, would take about 5 minutes to install.
FWIW Although the tube is 8mm the 5/16 is slightly smaller and proven to work, especially after you clean up the old line with some Emery cloth. Just sayin ;)

Thanks everyone for replies so far.

Hi, To me as these rigs get older there is going to be a lot of modifications. Are you sure a flexible line won’t work? If not I don’t see why what you have done won’t work. Mike

There is no room to run the flex line. If you look at the high pressure line that runs along the firewall, you'll see exactly why. Of course i could re-route and run the flex line above the valve cover, but that would be too ugly and restrict access to valve cover.

I connected my home conditioner with this. It was already pre-installed from factory, so I just made copper line (low/High)

View attachment 2368473

I have seen HVAC guys use flare fittings on home A/C's, but for some reason i have never seen them used on Automotive A/C's. Im not sure why. That's what i want to find out... Perhaps copper lines work better with flare fittings than aluminum lines. Or maybe it has to do with the vibrations.

This from Titan Fittings is what you need and has been proven to work
I use Swagelok fittings all the time at work, they will hold way higher pressures than the AC system will see. I think this is the part you'd need, would take about 5 minutes to install.
I used one of these back in 2017 for an AC line repair and its still working fine.

View attachment 2368723

I've looked at compression fittings such as these, but as i said in the original post - one of the joints has to be in a very narrow place where a bulky compression fitting just won't fit. The double flare union that i want to try is skinnier and will clear, barely. So this brings me back to my original question - will it work?
I mean there must be some reason why A/C guys dont use this type of joint on cars and go with very expensive compression fittings instead. I just wanna know that reason is.

OK, In the picture the double flare looks to be about the same size as the double compression.
Here's a picture of the the double compression with the 5/8 wrench, So if the fitting you have takes a smaller wrench then yeah the double compression is to big. I hope this helps.
1594568296028.png

Last edited:
OK, In the picture the double flare looks to be about the same size as the double compression.
Here's a picture of the the double compression with the 5/8 wrench, So if the fitting you have takes a smaller wrench then yeah the double compression is to big. I hope this helps.View attachment 2369312

Thanks! It does seem to be about the same size as the flare union (although longer). I was planning to give those fittings a try, but turned out they are a real pain in the ass to get in Canada. There is only one local distributor. I called them and they didnt have the 8mm fittings in stock, and couldn't provide me with an ETA due to COVID-related logistical issues. Ordering them direct from US would also take a couple of weeks.

I didn't want to wait that long, so i made new lines (again.. for the 3rd time..) and installed the double flare unions with plenty of Nylog on the flare face. Charged the system. One of the 8 nuts leaked a bit, so i tightened it harder and it seems to hold.. for now.. Will report back if it leaks.

Meanwhile i'll order those swagelocks in case i need them in the future, and will also keep looking for either NOS or excellent used condition original lines in GCC.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

20200714_090923.jpg

'Small Diameter' flex hose and fittings are available. I'd prefer hardlines in that location, but it might be an option for you.

Typically #6 small diameter hose will run 5/16" I.D. and 39/64ths (just under 5/8") O.D. not taking up any more room than most fittings or couplers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom