Question - FJ62 Intake Chamber carbon/oily residue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
I've just pulled my intake chamber (manifold?) as I prepare to go for an exhaust/intake manifold gasket replacement.
I know it's not uncommon to have carbon buildup in these rigs but since I'm cleaning mine out as part of this process, I was wondering if there is a good way to reduce future build-up.
I've seen mentions of an oil catch can. If that is what they are used for does anyone have a photo/info on an FJ62 install?

Intake chamber fj62.jpg

Definitely curious to see other's 3FE catch can setups. Mine was pretty oil/carbon laden as well.

This is what I'd hope to avoid with the catch can.
On the bright side, it's gone 230K miles and I doubt it was ever cleaned before so its probably a critical addition but it would be nice no know if its been done.

FA46498C-9578-4C0A-A7EE-B7430A1F351E.jpeg

B8CDCDDE-DF7F-4675-97FD-9EC638D6DC03.jpeg

yeah the cold start injector definitely gets the worst of it. Also, the PCV port on the back of mine was pretty crudded up. May be worth blowing that out with brake cleaner.

I'm trying to decide how much effort should I put in to clean the carbon residue in the manifold. is the crud causing any issues? I'll clean the cold start injector and the PCV but that's really what you care about. should there be any concern about too much build up in the manifold affecting the air? Catch cans are there to capture the blow by so it doesn't go into the cylinders, right? it will slow down the buld up on the CSI, which is good.

I'm trying to decide how much effort should I put in to clean the carbon residue in the manifold. is the crud causing any issues? I'll clean the cold start injector and the PCV but that's really what you care about. should there be any concern about too much build up in the manifold affecting the air? Catch cans are there to capture the blow by so it doesn't go into the cylinders, right? it will slow down the buld up on the CSI, which is good.
If you have the air chamber off the vehicle you might as well clean it up. I wouldn’t clean it while on the vehicle since all of the baked crud and chips will end up in your piston chambers.
These are pretty forgiving rigs, mine had 230k of gunk and realistically, aside from the EGR and cold start injector (which you should defiantly clean) it would be just fine if I left it dirty. Zero impact on air flow.
I put in an oil catch can to keep it clean since I spent the time sprucing up the air chamber And It’ll keep the throttle body cleaner.
In reality, the engine is designed to ingest the oil and vapor from the PCV valve.

And here is a photo of my my setup.
$27 Kmotor cach can on amazon with a 1.5 OZ glass catch.
I’m going to relocate it so it’s easier to access the drain plug.

1612223995243.jpeg

And here is a photo of my my setup.
$27 Kmotor cach can on amazon with a 1.5 OZ glass catch.
I’m going to relocate it so it’s easier to access the drain plug.

View attachment 2572502
My manifold was off, so I decided to dedicate 4 cans of brake cleaner to the process. It worked better than I imagined. Made me feel good, but that may have been all the fumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom