Question: Body differences in 40s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spin Doctor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all - have a question for you...now that I have a 40 (‘82) I’d like to learn what slight differences to look for to know the different years. Growing up I was into mustangs, so I could easily pick out the 64.5s, 65s, etc.

Doesn’t seem like there is a ton on the LCs, but I’ve learned the wipers at the top is, I think, ‘74s and older. What are the other things to look for to know the years when I come across another 40 owner?

Thx!

lol. there is a lot.
instead of trying to get it all in one thread like this. i suggest just reading the forum, specifically when someone posts the "whats this worth" or "what do you think of this potential purchase" ........thats when the knit picking really pops up......but if you really want an education read the "all original barn find" type threads.

Off the top of my head... Thinner steel, very different floor and seat setup. Wider square bezel, grey interior, different jump seats, different rear door shape in the lower corner, hard top vent windows, gas tank under the truck, parking brake location, and for your very late truck, parking brakes moved to rear axle from xfer case. Wiring harness, 50 Amp Alt, wheels, diff gearing. The really big difference is if your truck shipped with factory AC or PS. Then you get a totally different radiator, which of course has been NLA for many years. The 79 and later trucks really are very different from the 78 and earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom