Question about wiring for an electric radiator fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 82 FJ40, which I decided to remove my mechanical fan and install an electric fan from a Ford Taurus. I have 2 solenoids, an adjustable thermostat sendor, a 3-way switch, and, of course, an electric fan. I followed instructions I saw on a thread, but the wiring instructions were not clear. Can anyone help me figure out how to get the electric fan to come on low at a certain temp, and switch to high at another temp?

Is this with a v8 or 2f??

mike, you can give me a ring and I could probably help ya..

592-9869

Hi Mace,
It's a 2F. I almost burned it to the ground on Saturday. I had a wiring fire, where I tried to hook it up myself... I took down your number, and I'll give you a call on monday. My number is 702-806-0263.
Thanks,
Vegas Mike (Michael)

KOWBOY said:
Mace-

You finally give up and just pay somebody to post up on your little forum. :confused:

:bounce: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :bounce:

:flamingo:
Perhaps I need a new snazzy logo..

Hmmm

Mike, what is wrong with the stock mechanical fan?? Why did you decide to replace it?

KOWBOY said:
Mace-

You finally give up and just pay somebody to post up on your little forum.

We're writing the url on the back of dollar bills and puttin' them on windshields.

:flipoff2:

Mike, called on sat. Never heard back from ya!

Give me a ring. we can find another time to give ya a hand..

I'm still wondering why the mechanical fan was a problem? My 75 had an electric fan on it when I bought it and I went to great effort to get the original fan replaced. That was 9 years ago and I've never regretted it.

Mace said:
Give me a ring. we can find another time to give ya a hand..
Hi Mace, I am heading off to Sedona tomorrow, so I won't be around until next week, but I WILL have my laptop with me for emails and such. I seem to have a bad cam in my 2F. I just got a new one in from Downey off-road, but have 2 stuck lifters I can't get out of the block. Also, I can't seem to find a reasonable source for new lifters, as the old ones are not in real good shape. Considering the 2F engine was rebuilt 8 months ago, with new lifters, cam, cranf, pistons, head...sucks to have this type of problem so soon. ANy help you could give to reassemble would be GREATLY appreciated.

rusty_tlc said:
I'm still wondering why the mechanical fan was a problem? My 75 had an electric fan on it when I bought it and I went to great effort to get the original fan replaced. That was 9 years ago and I've never regretted it.
I guess the mechanical fan wasn't the problem. Unfortunately I did NOT know that when I replaced it. My FJ40 was running hot, and I thought it might be the fan clutch. Replaced that, but it still ran hot. Then I followed a thread on this forum about an electric Mark III fan, and decided to do the swap. Made the swap OK, adjusted the sizing to make it fit, and swapped a Chevy truck 80 amp alternator for the Toyota one (50 amps) to accomidate the 33 amp draw and the two battery set-up. In hind-site, the swap wasn't necessary. Too late now, although I still have the mechanical fan to fall back on if I decide to go back. More worried about my defective cam right now, so I've back-burnered the wiring issues in exchange for a mechanical one that is a bit costly. Got a performance cam from Downey off-road, and am trrying to find reasonable replacement lifters somewhere. THe ones I pulled out are not in good shape, thanks to a defective cam.
Michael

I have spare lifters at the house.

we can figure something out.