question about trailer building (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
to make a trailer as light as possable, but still strong enough to withstand being towed on a trail.
what framing material would you use?
lower frame,2x2x?
side supports 1x1x?
or maybe 2x3x? for the lower framing for strength?

any ideas or links to plans
would like to build something like the military style.
already have a 40 rear axle and springs to start.

thanx in advance,
jim

How 'bout sharing the links ... I'm in the dreaming phase of trailer design / construction. I've had wild dreams of a crossbread of a late 40's tear drop and an M416. Some time back I found this stie along those lines...... (Concentrate on the trailer - Ignore the @eep content)

http://www.outbackteardrop.com/

LabRat11 said:
How 'bout sharing the links ... I'm in the dreaming phase of trailer design / construction. I've had wild dreams of a crossbread of a late 40's tear drop and an M416. Some time back I found this stie along those lines...... (Concentrate on the trailer - Ignore the @eep content)

all i did was do a search for trailers...no problem
found a good simple design

i'm an idoit a doing links...sorry

i think i've seen one of those tear drop trailers for sale near my house :idea:
next time i may have to see how much they want...

Why a 40 rear axle? It doesn't help you much in the "Light Weight" department and any trailer builder can hook ya up with a custom width axle with the Toyota bolt circle.

LabRat11 said:

I saw one a guy built from this site behind an FJ40 up on the Black Rock Desert. His was a lot taller to match the SOA on his Cruiser. Sweet rig.

BMAN said:
Why a 40 rear axle? It doesn't help you much in the "Light Weight" department and any trailer builder can hook ya up with a custom width axle with the Toyota bolt circle.

My thoughts exactly. I'd go custom axle, even with brakes you'll be looking at around $200 and much lighter than a Cruiser axle. Same bolt pattern as a Cruiser, same width, generic trailer hubs you can find *everywhere*.

I'll type more on this tonight, I've been planning to do this for a long time and have a lot of notes and pictures. My plan is sort of an "M416 plus", slightly longer tub, some other features.

Ya don't need anything custom to get a Cruiser bolt pattern on the axles. Standard heavy duty trailerhubs have the 6 on 5.5 pattern. Available with electric brakes too.

Mark...

BMAN said:

Great way to carry spares. Spare axles, spare chunk, spare springs, spare shakles. All things I have broken on the trail in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom