Question about the transmission coolant hoses to radiator on FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. Newbie learning to do mechanical work by myself.

On Saturday I replaced my radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, on my 97 LX450. Everything went smooth and simple.

I refilled it, warmed up, took it for a drive, all good.

Sunday morning warmed up two times, everything ok.

When I put it on reverse, huge puddle of coolant under me.

The transmission cooler line that goes to the radiator ok the driver side broke. I am replacing that hose today.

My questions are:

1) Is there an issue with the transmission, or the radiator hoses are to cool only and no oil is involved?

2) Related to that? I need to add ATF fluid?

3) I don’t have enough Toyota red to refill, but I need to move the truck as is in a friends place. What can I use as a temporary replacement? “Red for Asian cars” from the auto parts store?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

(Picture of my LX just for introduction)

D65F1575-16CC-46ED-9354-CE313C3CA5DE.jpeg

I might he misunderstanding you, but that transmission cooler line should NOT have coolant in it. It should contain only ATF. You need to make sure those lines are leaking ATF, not coolant. If it is coolant, then your radiator is leaking internally and you’ll need to fix that, then clean out the transmission to get any coolant out.

Can you post a pic of where it is leaking?

Hello everyone. Newbie learning to do mechanical work by myself.

On Saturday I replaced my radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, on my 97 LX450. Everything went smooth and simple.

I refilled it, warmed up, took it for a drive, all good.

Sunday morning warmed up two times, everything ok.

When I put it on reverse, huge puddle of coolant under me.

The transmission cooler line that goes to the radiator ok the driver side broke. I am replacing that hose today.

My questions are:

1) Is there an issue with the transmission, or the radiator hoses are to cool only and no oil is involved?

2) Related to that? I need to add ATF fluid?

3) I don’t have enough Toyota red to refill, but I need to move the truck as is in a friends place. What can I use as a temporary replacement? “Red for Asian cars” from the auto parts store?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

(Picture of my LX just for introduction)

View attachment 3092931
1) Confirm the puddle is coolant and not transmission fluid.
2) Both are red. Could be either or both.
3) If it's coolant, you'll need to add coolant that is compatible with the red or just add distilled water and deal with the slightly varied mix.
4) If it's transmission fluid, check and add the correct amount to the transmission. Remember to check it hot and idling in park. Must have driven at least 10 miles to be considered up to temp.
5) The transmission to radiator lines are designed to warm the transmission quickly when cold, then cool it as the truck is getting worked. Those lines are filled with ATF, not coolant.

The fastest way to destroy an automatic transmission is to get water inside it. Hopefully you're just looking at a bad transmission cooler hose and/or an unrelated coolant leak from the new radiator hoses.

Post up some photos of where the leak is coming from if you can.

Thanks for everyone for the reply!

It was a transmission hose, I damaged it when pushed down the fan shroud.

It was ATF.

The radiator had the metal connection in a good angle to open the drain, but too high for the fan shroud. I adjusted, replace the transmission lines, added ATF and coolant as needed and LC had been running fine, fingers crossed :D

6F8E8D2E-765E-47FE-AFBF-7DBFC8C0C28A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom