1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about tail light in 4Runner

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Macondawg, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Macondawg

Macondawg

The tail light bulb keeps burning out in my 99 4Runner. I have replaced the bulb 2 times in 2 months. Can it be anything other than bad bulbs? Wife got pulled over by the police last night and is pissed at me. Gonna be a long weekend if I can't get some help!

2. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

OT question about tail light in 4Runner

What do the bulbs look like after they burn out??
    If bulb is black and burnt, it indicates a short.
    If the filament is broken, it could be the bulbs.
    hope this helps

3. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

If you have an aftermarket added in trailering harness, it could be that the way that they spliced the wires in are shorting out and blowing out bulbs. Other than that, the diagnostic advice that eduardo gave excellently helps figure out what is wrong. HTH.

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

My wifes 96 4Runner kept bowing the fuse for the tail lights. Turned out that at the port when they installed the hitch harness they ran it through the floor under the carpet trim piece that goes along the back. The idiot didn't insulate the wire just pulled up a platic piece and let the harness rest against the body. Well 6 years later it chafed through and started shorting out. That whole mess in on the PS rear behind the side panel. Thing was it was very intermittent and would sometimes last for weeks. She did get pulled over as there was nothing lit back there but didn't get a ticket.

Best of luck to ya.

5. Beowulf

Beowulf

Re:OT question about tail light in 4Runner

>> Turned out that at the port when they installed the hitch harness they ran it
    >> through the floor under the carpet trim piece that goes along the back.
    >> The idiot didn't insulate the wire just pulled up a platic piece and let the
    >> harness rest against the body

Exactly the way my '97 Cruiser was wired at the port so things didn't improve between the 4Runner and the Cruiser and between 96 and 97.

-B-

6. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Re:OT question about tail light in 4Runner

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=13004;start=msg120620#msg120620 date=1079196297]

>> Turned out that at the port when they installed the hitch harness they ran it
    >> through the floor under the carpet trim piece that goes along the back.
    >> The idiot didn't insulate the wire just pulled up a platic piece and let the
    >> harness rest against the body

Exactly the way my '97 Cruiser was wired at the port so things didn't improve between the 4Runner and the Cruiser and between 96 and 97.

-B-
    [/quote]

Wasn't there a recall on the '98-99 100's having to do with a faulty trailer harness?

7. Lars

Lars

I'm dealing with the same thing on my 2000 4runner. Drivers side tail light keeps burning out.

8. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

A couple of things that can blow out bulbs frequently are subwoofers and overcharging systems. If you burned out two recently, I would first suspect the second bulb, then the voltage regulator unless your wife listens to rap at a bizzilion decibles.