Question about SUVs with RoofTop Tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I bought a Rooftop Tent when I had a truck, it was mounted above the bed and only rose an inch or two above the cab. So this made it unnoticeable when driving.

I bought a Jeep to do more 4x4ing, but want to get something less rigid on the road.

So my question is, for those of you that have pre 2010’s 4runners, Land Cruisers, Cherokees, with tents on top, what’s it like on the freeway? Can you feel it? Noise? Let me know. Thanks.

Fuel mileage drops a bit with the tent installed (goes from bad to worse), especially when dealing with wind. Body roll increases about as much as it does with 3 adults in the back seat. I set cruise at 80 on the interstate and forget its up there until I pass a gas station. No noise at all.

Mileage went down. Yes, I hear it. My truck doesn't have sway bars, so it's interesting in turns and off-road. But, the RT was a game changer. I'm more than happy to live with the challenges it's presented.

IMGP1826-sm.jpg

I switch my RTT between my two rigs, an 80 and a JKU.

The RTT makes a JKU brick even more of a brick so definitely noticeable driving on the freeway mpg wise. The 80 takes it better with its more aerodynamic profile.

Handling wise, both my trucks can easily maintain mountain road (twisty) speeds faster than most regular folks. The jeep even better as it got stiffer sways and better shocks while the 80 just maintains its usual lumbering whale handling, not much worse without the RTT.

Despite all i said, neither will do well in avoidance conditions (heavy transitions) so always keep that in mind.

I seldom really notice a huge difference. My RTT on my 100 series is far enough back on my rack that the wind noise doesn't really affect me. The mileage is actually closer than you might think with an without, maybe 1mpg different, but that's also a factor or the winter blend fuel too, I suspect, it's not like it's ever good. I guess I notice it a tiny bit in really off camber stuff off road, but probably less than you might think. It's a pretty stable rig and it's 7,000#. I may get a hard shell in the future, so we'll see with that.

i run one with a bowfin rack and don't notice any extra noise. That said with KM3's its not like the truck is quiet to begin with. Don't notice any handling difference vs having the rear loaded with camping gear. OME heavies probably help with that.

Hi,
I bought a Rooftop Tent when I had a truck, it was mounted above the bed and only rose an inch or two above the cab. So this made it unnoticeable when driving.

I bought a Jeep to do more 4x4ing, but want to get something less rigid on the road.

So my question is, for those of you that have pre 2010’s 4runners, Land Cruisers, Cherokees, with tents on top, what’s it like on the freeway? Can you feel it? Noise? Let me know. Thanks.
I'd say it depends on which type of RTT you're talking about. Hardshells are usually much more aerodynamic than the soft fold out type. Since you had yours mounted mostly out of the slipstream and you didn't specify which model or type you had, IMHO you're going to notice it more, regardless of type. But, one thing's for sure, the hardshell would be a better choice in almost every category, for sleeping 2 or less, & possibly a small child would also fit. Being that a jeep is so much lighter, I'm sure you'll feel the difference. I barely noticed my hardshell on my 80 when I had it on. But it weighs in around 6.8K before cargo is loaded.

Thousands of kilometres with my Maggiolina Extreme. Absolutely no effect to mileage at all.
Extra cargo weight has a significant effect, but the tent doesn’t.

6293EC9D-5D3F-4243-A154-F397801C2224.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom