Question about steering column mounting - Power steering conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HELP!

I'm installing a JT Outfitters kit and the column I have (later model FJ40) doesn't work in my 71. It's got the angled firewall mount. So can I just reuse the old column and get the rag joint adapter from JTO? Or how do I mount the damn column in an older '40?

Thanks!

Im about to do the same thing to my 71. From what Ive read you have to cut your column a few inches short and weld the adapter to the shaft.

What it the diameter of your column? Is it an aftermarket one? BTB products makes a nice clean adapter that fits nicely (in stock mounting holes) for most standard size columns. I used it and I'm very happy with the end result.

LINKY: http://store.btbprod.com/detail.aspx?ID=318

Also, IDIDIT.com has a variety of column mounts on their website that might work too..

LINKY: http://ididit.com/floor_mounts.htm

It's a FJ40 later model column. Looks like one from the 76 sitting next to mine in the shop...

Im about to do the same thing to my 71. From what Ive read you have to cut your column a few inches short and weld the adapter to the shaft.

Yes... but how do you mount the column to the firewall? Use the old column?

I have a 74 LC column in my 72 body, I just marked and cut the firewall, then I bolted the flange to the wall. I did have to notch the lower right corner of the flange to clear the early gas pedal bracket. It's a great fit and it looks OEM.

Early style power steering conversion ‘kits’ used a plate that had a bolt pattern on it similar to the pattern for the gasket around the early column, and had an oval cut into the plate so that you could reuse the original column and weld it to the plate, and then secure it to the firewall with the bolts that secured the gasket.

There is no reason why you cannot do the same thing with a later column in an earlier truck. I did this with the 1962 FST 40 that I am building at the shop. I will try and post up some pictures of this tomorrow.

:beer:

Late model column welded to an early support plate:
col01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom